While sentimental value may be NO value, there are some things that show you have cared for the property, and may actually increase the value.
You cannot give value to something that is intrinsic, but you can convert care and pride of ownership into $$$$.
Now, read this and go thank Judi for a great blog post.
Sentimental Value is NO Value
Your home may have a lot of sentimental value to you. It may be compounded by it's location, close to where you grew up, or maybe because you raised your kids in the home...Kelly took her first steps right there down that hallway... you spent the last 24 years of your married life together in that home... watched the neighborhood change... bought your gasoline from Fred down at the corner gasoline station. Those doors were ordered from Mary's father when he ran the local lumber yard.
That's wonderful... but on the real estate market, sentimental value does not count.
Sentimental Value has no value when you get ready to sell your home. Have you ever tried to take sentimental value down to the bank and deposit it into your checking or savings account? Try it sometime. If it works, please let me know because just about every home I list has sentimental value to the sellers. You're not the first one to think it should equate into more money on the closing table.
Some of those things that you value in your home, though, will equate into a better offer.
- You value a clean home... that helps it sell and usually bring a better offer.
- Your sentimental value that is attached to those solid wood doors has probably prompted you to take better care of them and being in good condition should help you get more for your home.
- The rose bushes that you lovingly planted in the flower beds.. YEP! That's a plus.
- The swing on the front porch that you've sat in many times and watched the kids play, probably.
BUT some of the things that you value can actually hurt your sale.
- The out dated kitchen appliances
- Worn door knobs and cabinet handles
- Dripping faucet in the bathroom
Anything that speaks to it's function and attractiveness being all used up, needs to go. If a timely sale at a good price is important to you:
- Paint what needs to be painted.
- Repair or replace what needs to be repaired and/or replaced.
- Pack the small sentimental mementos and things that will have no meaning to a buyer.. put them away.. make your home less cluttered and roomier.
And last but not least... Please don't try to convince the buyers of the value of your home due to it's sentimental value to you.. when buyers look, you need to be somewhere else, not home trying to bump the offer.
Image courtesy of Jarnott
Looking for a home for sale in Idabel, Oklahoma? Let me Google that for you.
Judi Barrett, Broker, Integrity Real Estate Services, Office Address: RR 5 BOX 126, IDABEL, OK 74745 580-212-5946
Our Name Says It All.
Real Estate Services You Can Trust.
If you enjoyed this post, why not connect with me elsewhere?
Real Estate ServicesOur name says it all.Visit our website to view listings in Southeast Oklahoma, including both Choctaw County and McCurtain County Oklahoma