How do I appeal the property taxes
on my Mission Valley condo?
If you believe that your Mission Valley condo property taxes are too high, you can file an assessment appeal, but you have to do it my November 30 at 5:00 p.m., or postmarked by midnight if you mail in your appeal.
You have to apply for an appeal by completing an application from available from the County Administration Center (picture at right), 1600 Pacific Highway, Room 402, in downtown San Diego (across from the Star of India). Applications can also be downloaded from the County's web site.
This is not an easy process, so it's best to get started now rther than waiting until Thanksgiving weekend! You will neeed to know:
Parcel ID number or Tax Bill number
- Property address
- Your opinon of the property's marketing value — This is critical. You can't just say, "My property's not worth this much!" You have to back up your opinion with at least three examples of comparable sales in your geographic area.The condominium complex next door to YOUR condominium complex doesn't necessarily make good comps for you! If you don't know how to get good comps for your Mission Valley condo, feel free to contact me.
- One you have everything together and completed, you need FIVE COPIES of all the documents you plan to present to the appeals board! FedEx Office will welcome you with open arms!
Property taxes that are eligible for appeal include residential, commercial, and industrial real estate, as well as airplanes and boats.
If the County disagrees with you, your case will go to an assessment appeals hearing where an independent board will reveal the appeal, related forms, and any other relevant documentation, and make a final determination. The independent board includes licensed real estate brokers, real estate appraisers, CPA's, and other experts. I hope those other experts aren't the ones who got us into this real estate and economic mess!
Recent blog posts:
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Park Villas North
- Out & about San Diego — It's the dog days of summer at Petco Park on July 27!
- Would YOU go THIS far to get a unique picture for YOUR listing?
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Kensington Park Villas
- After the house is foreclosed and the former owners gone....
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Mission Verde
- Who is the property management company for my Mission Valley condo?
- Ones and eights it is!
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Mission Heights
- Out & about San Diego — Where can I go to see fireworks on the Fourth of July?
- QR codes to my ActiveRain blog condo market series
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Friars Mission
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Friars Pointe
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Mission Ridge
- Out & about San Diego — Man-eating plants at the San Diego Zoo
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Mission Playmor
- Out & about San Diego — Balanced rocks at Seaport Village
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — Rancho Mission Villas
- Out & about San Diego — The new Bonsai Pavilion is now open at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park
- San Diego Mission Valley condos for sale — The Villas at Escala