Hi everyone-As many of you know I live with and take care of my 85 yr old mother. 2 yrs ago I had called and ordered a medic alert system(Life Station) for her because at that time she lived by herself and had been falling quite frequently. Problem is when she was by herself when she would fall she would never press that button to get help. Since I have been here which next month has been a year. In that time she has only fallen once and it was in the first month or two and it was early morning about 6 am and I think she missed the bed because I heard the thud when she hit the floor and went in and she was sprawled at the end of the bed.
I tried unsuccessfully for about an hour to get her up. With my back problem there is no way I can lift dead weight of 160#. She didn't want me to call them. I think she was afraid they would take her to the hospital and she didn't want to. I finally convinced her after both of us struggling for an hour I would need to call them. They were there in a matter of minutes and two folks one of each side helped her up.
Thankfully she has not fallen since then until tonite about 9 p.m. I was in bed reading when she hollered she needed help. She apparently went to sit on the edge of the bed and missed. I tried for about 5 minutes with no luck. I told her we needed to push that button and get help and all they would do was come help her up. This time there was no fussing from her. We pressed the button and within a few minutes a lady came on the line and we told her that she had fallen and I couldn't get her up.
Again the medics were there within 5 mins and two fellows helped her onto the bed. She thankfully wasn't hurt either time. So tonite I am thankful she didn't get hurt and thankful for a medic alert system that is there when she needs it. There are several to choose from but we went with Life Station because it was least expensive for the same coverage and it wasn't hard at all to hook up. I did it myself so if I can do anyone can
So I urge ANYONE who has an elderly parent, relative or close friend if they live by themselves or even if they don't have them get a life alert system. For less than a dollar a day it is so worth the peace of mind that someone will be there when you need them. I know I am and tonite I know Mom is too.
Here is a little info from their website. You can get more info at their website http://www.lifestation.com/
3 options for wearing your life-alert device
necklace, a wristwatch or a belt clip — is included.
More details about how LifeStation's Medical Alarm system works:
- Your medical alarm button comes with three free attachments, allowing you to wear it as a neck pendant, wristband or belt clip.
- All Care Specialists are LifeStation employees and have been trained and certified according to industry best practices. LifeStation does not outsource or offshore our monitoring service.
- The LifeStation medical alarm console's enhanced speaker and voice equipment helps you communicate with a Care Specialist even if you have fallen down.
- If you are unable to speak, the monitoring center will immediately follow your personalized emergency action plan, contacting emergency services, friends and family in the order you requested.
- In the event that LifeStation needs to call emergency services or friends and family, one Care Specialist will always remain on the line with you while another notifies EMS or your contact list.