I am always looking for new safety tools and procedures and this one is fantastic! It isn't just for Realtors either. If you're in a job that places you in front of strangers day in and day out, this might be just what you need! Thanks Pacita for sharing this with us!
Ladies and gentlemen, choose your weapon
In case you missed it, here's a fabulous article from the July 2011 issue of REALTOR Magazine:
We've all had moments of discomfort before...the dangers are very real. So in addition to using our head, there are apps that are recommended.
This app asks your phone at predetermined times "Are you OK?" If 2 questions are not answered, the app will automatically contact people you designate. And then its GPS feature provided via your smartphone will provide your location.
- Tracking tool to reveal your location to certain contacts
- Alert tool to automatically alert your selected contacts if you need help
Real Alert --- a brainchild of a REALTOR working with developers.
With this app, you can quickly alert your emergency contacts (program ICE as "In Case of Emergency" ) or police when you feel you are in danger. The app also features
- Quick tap button to alert your emergency contacts wor 911 hen you need help.
- Record "creep data," to detail physical descriptions, vehicle information, and other important information for police. You can also record audio details or even take a photo.
- Retrieve the location of nearby hospitals by using your GPS location.
- Sound an alarm to ward off potential attackers. (The volume will depend on the sound setting on your phone.)
- Turn your smartphone into a flashlight.
Safe Trec http://safetrec.
Press a panic button to instantly alert others you need help. Email and text messages are sent to your emergency contacts and provides your location using your phone's GPS
Take a photo of the suspicious person and have it emailed instantly to your emergency contacts, along with your location. The suspect perp won't even know it. You can pretend to make a call but tilt the phone toward the person to take a photo which is taken without a click sound.
There are free versions. And the ones that charge a fee are so inexpensive. And even if these were pricey...
We're worth it!