Successful Realtors® are no different than successful loan officers or sales people in general. They all share common traits. They are hardworking, diligent and consistent in their sales efforts and marketing strategy. They also incorporate a few basic rules of thumb.
Want a few of their insider secrets? It isn’t rocket science, just a few simple tactics to incorporate into your daily conversations.
- Be honest and always, always, always tell the truth! If you are upfront and transparent in your business dealings you will never need to worry about covering your backside.
- Prospects want to know that they are important to you. They need to “feel” valuable and recognize that you respect their opinion. If you can give people what they want, they will provide you with what you need.
- People are fickle, judgmental creatures. That means you only have one chance to make a great first impression. Showing up unkempt and scattered to your first client appointment is not the message you want to send.
- People have one favorite topic – themselves. They love to talk about their lives, dreams, goals and plans, so let them! There’s no better way to get to know a potential client than to give them your undivided attention.
- Prospects don’t want to know every teeny detail about what you do, so don’t bore them with facts. What they do want to know is what’s in it for them. Be clear, concise and quick to get to the point when relaying why you trump your competition.
- You attract bees with honey, not vinegar. Working on your demeanor and communication skills will go a long way to improving your results. People will remember that you were a pleasure to speak with if you provide a ray of sunshine in their otherwise dreary day.
- People are attracted to cheerful people that are always smiling. This one has everything to do with #6!
- People get excited when those around them are excited. If you act like a tired, burnt out agent, you will attract tired, burnt out clients. Enthusiasm is not over-rated hype; it is undeniably one of the most important tools in any Realtors® presentation, and the best part is that it’s free!
- People don’t care about your problems or the fact that you rolled out on the wrong side of the bed. They care about themselves and what value you bring to their life. If you’re still confused, re-read #5.
- Prospects are equipped with a built in “BS” meter and if they sense something isn't quite right, you're going to have one problem after another. Trust is built over time and through actions as well as words. Proving that you are trustworthy and reliable from the onset is the key to a long term, mutually beneficial relationship.
What other success skills have you learned over your career that you could pass along to others?