Here is a helpful list of things to consider when hiring a home inspector to check out the house you want to buy.
Understanding the physical condition of a property will help buyers negotiate price or plan on repairs and upgrades the house may need in the future.
So, you’ve submitted an offer on a home and you decide you want to select a home inspector to inspect the home, which is a great idea! Most real estate professionals will recommend a list of home inspectors so that you can pick your own or you may already know a home inspector, or you may want to search for one; either way, there are certain things you must keep in mind when selecting a home inspector and you should actually interview them either in person or on the phone. Some of the main questions you should ask are as follows.
1. Are you licensed in this State? (If it is a State requirement)
2. How long have you been in business?
3. How much notice do I need to give you before you can inspect the home I wish to purchase?
4. How much do you charge?
5. What tools do you use?
6. What items will you inspect?
7. Will you get up on the roof to inspect it?
8. Do you enter the attic to inspect?
9. Do you crawl under the house? (if the house has a crawl space)
10. How soon will I receive my report after you are done and in what format will it be?
11. Will you give me a walkthrough of the home when you are done to further explain your findings?
12. If I need you to re-inspect, what will you charge me?
These are just a select few of the many questions you will want to ask home inspectors prior to hiring them; however, the main points are to make sure they can inspect when you need them to and that they are licensed in your State.