Huntington Beach is a seaside city in Orange County in Southern California. According to the 2010 census, the city population was 189,992; making it the largest beach city in Orange County in terms of population. It is bordered by the Pacific Ocean on the southwest, by Seal Beach on the northwest, by Costa Mesa on the east, by Newport Beach on the southeast, by Westminster on the north, and by Fountain Valley on the northeast.
It is known for its long 8.5-mile (13.7 km) beach, mild climate, and excellent surfing. The waves are a unique natural effect caused by edge-diffraction of ocean swells by the island of Catalina, and waves from distant hurricanes.
Huntington Beach incorporated on February 17, 1909 under its first mayor, Ed Manning. Its original developer was the Huntington Beach Company (formerly the West Coast Land and Water Company), a real-estate development firm owned by Henry Huntington. The Huntington Beach Company is still a major land-owner in the city, and still owns most of the local mineral rights.
An interesting hiccup in the settlement of the district occurred when an encyclopedia company gave away free parcels of land, with the purchase of a whole set for $126, in the Huntington Beach area that it had acquired cheaply. The lucky buyers got more than they had bargained for when oil was discovered in the area, and enormous development of the oil reserves followed. Though many of the old wells are empty, and the price of land for housing has pushed many of the rigs off the landscape, oil pumps can still be found to dot the city.
· The ska punk rock band Reel Big Fish formed here in 1992.
· Dean Torrence, from the 1960s Pop group Jan and Dean, who co-authored the famous song "Surf City" (#1 in 1963), said that Huntington Beach embodies the song's spirit of freedom and California fun.
· All members of the band Millionaires are from Huntington Beach.
· Willie Aames attended Edison High School.
· Nicole Eggert spent her elementary school years living in Huntington Beach and attended Sowers Middle School.
· Amy Grabow grew up in Huntington Beach and attended the Academy for the Performing Arts.
· Jenna Jameson, famed pornographic actress, resides in Huntington Harbour with Tito Ortiz.
· Jack Kelly, most noted for the role of Bart Maverick on the Maverick (TV series), During the 1980s and early 1990s he served as city councilman and mayor in Huntington Beach.
· Jason Lee, who plays the lead character Earl in the television show My Name is Earl, grew up in Huntington Beach and graduated from Ocean View High School.
To learn more about Huntington Beach, please see http://www.westlinerealestate.com/blog
Alan Adamo NAR, CAR, OCAR
Westline Real Estate - REALTOR®