There are so many great kid movies that have amused and entertained me that I could highlight one in a blog every week. The last one that I really loved was, "Despicable Me." Ironically, I skipped it when it came out because I didn't like the title. Titles are everything. That's true of movies, books and blogs.
In that movie, there are three little girls who are just adorable. The youngest, is Agnes. Anges is bigger than life. During the early part of the girl's meeting with Gru, the criminal mastermind, Gru is telling them all the things they can't do that annoy him. Then, Agnes, in one of the classic lines in the movie asks, "Does this count as annoying?" And, she does her cheek popping routine. It is precious.
That brings me to my topic. What's annoying to you? He's some of my list:
- Being put on hold for extremely long periods of time.
- People who pass the buck. Suck it up and take responsibility for yourself.
- Slow drivers in the passing lane.
- Politicians who have a sliding scale for honesty, integrity and morality. 'Nuff said.
- Receiving bad checks. I received one last week from a restaurant owner. I could have bought him for a dollar when he came in and saw me sitting at the first table. I got my money in cash, and then some. I will camp out at a business forever.
- People who lie to me. Especially those who lie to me face to face. That's the kiss of death in my world.
- Whining. Just say, "No" to whining.
- Rude public service employees. Really? Don't you know who pays your check?
- Arrogance, condescension, running people down. I put those together because they are all flaws in character.
- Bad attitudes. You live in the greatest country in the world. There is no reason for a bad attitude. Travel overseas with me Sparky, and you will kiss the ground when you get back here.
- Settling for the status quo.
- Poor customer service. There is no excuse for not responding to your customers.
- Clouds with no rain, and I'm talking about people here. Always promising and never delivering.
The list could go on forever, and I'm sure you have your own, but I also have a list of things that delight me and things that I cherish, such as:
- Integrity, honesty and morality.
- Friends who will drown with you. A rare, but cherished commodity.
- People who do what they say, and you don't have to check up on them.
- Products or services that surprise you with more than they promise.
- Colleagues who are professional, and fun. A true gift!
- A positive attitude.
- Enthusiasm. An enthusiastic person can inspire others in so many ways. This is one of those things that requires a certain amount of knowledge and wisdom mixed with enthusiasm. Otherwise, you can end up with a Darwin Award. You don't want to go there.
- A sense of safety and security. You can't buy that.
- Hope. Hope is a constant expectation of good things. We need that.
- Second chances. Everybody needs to know that life is full of opportunities for second chances. If you need one, take it!
- Laughter. This is one of the reasons I enjoy Agnes so much. She makes me laugh. I love being around people who are clever, witty and have a great sense of humor. It is medicine for the soul.
Again, you get the idea, and I'm sure you have your list. Let me give you a quick exercise. Write your cherished things down on small slips of paper and put them in a cookie jar. When you're feeling really annoyed, randomly pull one out. Read it and reflect. Life is good. Don't let the things that annoy you outweigh the things that delight you.