Tips to home sellers from the IRS

Real Estate Broker/Owner with TechTown Realty, Licensed in Texas 578384

Straight from the IRS to the citizens!  Here are their top 10 tax tips for home sellers: (found on the IRS websiet as IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2011-15).

1. In general, you are eligible to exclude the gain from income if you have owned and used your home as your main home for two years out of the five years prior to the date of its sale.

2. If you have a gain from the sale of your main home, you may be able to exclude up to $250,000 of the gain from your income ($500,000 on a joint return in most cases).

3. You are not eligible for the exclusion if you excluded the gain from the sale of another home during the two-year period prior to the sale of your home.

4. If you can exclude all of the gain, you do not need to report the sale on your tax return.

5. If you have a gain that cannot be excluded, it is taxable. You must report it on Form 1040, Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses.

6. You cannot deduct a loss from the sale of your main home.

7. Worksheets are included in Publication 523, Selling Your Home, to help you figure the adjusted basis of the home you sold, the gain (or loss) on the sale, and the gain that you can exclude.

8. If you have more than one home, you can exclude a gain only from the sale of your main home. You must pay tax on the gain from selling any other home. If you have two homes and live in both of them, your main home is ordinarily the one you live in most of the time.

9. If you received the first-time homebuyer credit and within 36 months of the date of purchase, the property is no longer used as your principal residence, you are required to repay the credit. Repayment of the full credit is due with the income tax return for the year the home ceased to be your principal residence, using Form 5405, First-Time Homebuyer Credit and Repayment of the Credit. The full amount of the credit is reflected as additional tax on that year's tax return.

10. When you move, be sure to update your address with the IRS and the U.S. Postal Service to ensure you receive refunds or correspondence from the IRS. Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to notify the IRS of your address change.

Hope this informaiton is helpful.  If you live in Lubbock or the surrounding area...or if you are moving to Lubbock, call me for assistance in buying or selling a home, investing in property, or for referral to a commercial agent if you need real estate for your business.

Happy Back to School Week to you all!

Mary Benton, REALTOR, GRI

(806) 790-1026, MARY BENTON, REALTOR on facebook!


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Texas Lubbock County Lubbock
back to school
tax tips
moving to lubbock

Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Elizabeth Arduain
The Diamond Group @ Keller Williams - Lubbock, TX
Lubbock Texas Real Estate

Mary, good post; thanks for sharing this information!

Aug 24, 2011 09:12 AM #1
Hrisco & Associates
Hrisco & Associates | eXp Realty, LLC. - Roanoke, TX
-"When Experience Matters - The Agent You Need!"

Hi Mary, nice tips for Sellers regarding the IRS.  FYI, I got an answer for you regarding the house that was auctioned off recently.  venture back on over to the post from July to see the answer, sorry it took so long.  Funny story is they placed a for lease sign in the yard, and I am currently working with a client who needs to lease and is supposed to look at it next week.  

Aug 27, 2011 07:45 PM #2
Post a Comment
Spam prevention
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Mary Benton

TechTown Realty in Lubbock
Ask me a question via my email!
Spam prevention

Additional Information