I can only say it again PLEASE HEED THE WARNINGS! Parts of Maryland are under a Hurricane Warning and other counties (Baltimore City/County, Howard County, Montgomery County) are under a Tropical Storm Warning. Tropical Storm winds can still cause extensive damage - it does not take 100 mph to blow your lawnchair, trashcan, potted plants around ... Unless you want your neighbor knocking on your door tomorrow to inform you that one of your belongings ended up in their living room, please do secure everything or bring it inside.
DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY! A weakened Irene is good news but not good enough to just ignore the situation!
Thank you Pam for the warning!
Please read the scale below & pass it forward to your neighbor & your neighbor's neighbor. I don't know why I didn't post this prior. I just dropped my jaw when I just heard a report on the weather channel of an area & what they have seen. Now, I am not speaking to those in North Carolina. I am praying for you...& that all is well. Those in the Northeast you still have time to do the right thing!! It is for you & because of you that I am posting this blog. (may be not you specifically, but may be your neighbor?)
I have to ask, has anyone had a softball hit them in the face at say 30-40 miles per hour? I am not a great at baseball or softball averages, but I will pull that speed out of the top of my head as an example.
I bet it possibly brought stars &/or a big lump??!! Has anyone had a rock hit their windshield going say 50-60 mph in their car?? It possibly cracked it??
I just heard, "there are people that still have all their furniture outside in the Northeast"?? Oh I wish this were not true. This is what made me drop my jaw. This is how it goes...You may think, Oh, it is just a Cat 1 it is nothing, I don't need to do that"...?? Okay, just what do you think can happen "if":
* "if" - You or your neighbor decide to leave their lawn furniture outside?? Or your potted plants?? Can you imagine having a potted plant coming at your window or your head going even 74-115 mph?? Or a lawn chair at you or your window...?? Especially the one you didn't board up, or put shutters?? Who would you be angry at then?? 'just sayin'...
* "if" - What about the tornadoes?
* "if" - You or your family member stand out side in this storm & one of these things hit them at that speed?? What would you have to do?? My guess the minimal "drive" to the emergency room?? (in the storm) that is "if" it wasn't more severe an injury @ 80-90 miles an hour I think you can fill in the blanks. :(
* "if" - You try to drive & something like that comes flying at you?? Please don't drive either, as there are also issues with flooding. You could actually drive into deeper waters than you realize as it is muddy & no depth perception.
* "if" - Or you stay in your house without window protection & it comes at your home & takes out a chunk of your house??
* "if" - What "if" everyone did this around you??
I don't know why I didn't post it sooner with the other hurricane blogs, but it is here now, definitely for those in the Northeast!! There are going to be some neighbors fighting in the future I would imagine. Do, you want your neighbor coming over yelling or trying to sue you because your lawn chair is in their living room??.... 'just sayin'
I posted in my previous blog a photo of someone that had a board from his windows come off & go through a tree. It is one of those "Ripley" type of photos that you can't believe. Well it is there & it is not photoshop.
How about this, per this scale, not me, a mobile home could come flying into you house @ 74 mph or trees & signs..that is just the beginning of the wind scale. Doesn't mention "gusts" or tornadoes or flooding because of poor or saturated grounds & drainage. It does mention storm surge. All of these are important. Along with don't stand in a puddle when you could have a power line down...
There has been so much information out there & yet, there are "STILL" people that are NOT listening....(& they still have a signal)
The problem is they are lying on the beach or sitting outside watching to see "if" the elements are "for real"....
Well guess what they are for real, (may be not as some have been) but "very" real!
At the risk of a broken record, I am going to post yet "another" blog on the subject of Hurricanes & Storms in hopes that it will help others...
Pass the word to your neighbor or email this to them if you feel they are not doing their part. Okay, I am hoping everyone comes through safe!!