The Black Tavern in Dudley, Ma was built by Hezekiah and Becca Healy in 1804. The tavern was located in the middle of the Boston to Hartford stagecoach route. It catered to travelers and locals. Hezekiah died suddenly in 1817. Becca and her daughters ran the tavern for another five years. They then used it as a family home. It stayed in the family until the 1900's. Very little work or renovations were done on the Tavern. It fell into disrepair and was facing demolition.
In 1983 the Black Tavern Historical Society was formed for the express purpose of saving the building. Their Herculean task was daunting. It was structurally unsound. Termites, pests and dry rot ate away at the sills and other structural members. The BTHS raised the money to buy the lumber and other materials. Volunteers labored hundreds of hours rebuilding the Tavern. The BTHS appealed to everyone and anyone. The Dudley Elementary School kids raised money for the Tavern. The success of the project became a source of public pride. They did it! It is a perfect example of 1800's living. The attached barn is the latest renovation project.