Glover Park DC Neighborhood Profile
Pronunciation: GLUH-ver Park
Approximately half a mile north of Georgetown and less than a block west of the US Naval Observatory and One Observatory Circle (the VPOTUS mansion), the Glover Park DC neighborhood is surrounded by Rock Creek Park, the National Cathedral (near the Fulton border), to the south by Whitehaven Park and Burleith, Woodley Park on the east, and Cathedral Heights to the north.
Glover Park is home to a few embassies, including the Chinese Embassy Visa Office and the Embassy of Russia. Guy Mason Park is a local attraction located between Wisconsin Ave NW and the Naval Observatory (near Calvert Street). The park features softball facilities, a playground and an enclosed (unsanctioned) dog park. Each year the Glover Park Day festival is held at the park in June, and plays host to the Glover Park Co-ed Softball League. The DC Stoddert Soccer league was founded on the Glover Park field.
History of Glover Park DC
Photo: Miller’s Photographic History of the Civil War (1911), Vol. 8, p.306
To snap the Earliest photograph of Glover Park, the photographer stood on what's now the 3800 block of Calvert Street, NW, looking south (toward Georgetown). Holy Rood Cemetery is at the upper left, separated from Tunlaw Rd by a fence. The trees on the horizon dot the site of what's now Duke Ellington High School.
Glover Park began as a 300 lot expansion of Georgetown in 1769, the lots lining Wisconsin Avenue from N Street to the Russian Embassy. In 1871, The District Organic Act revoked the charters of the City of Washington, the City of Georgetown, and of Washington County. Georgetown deteriorated and many of its residents moved up Wisconsin Avenue to the newer and more modern Glover Park. It was considered a step up because it had electricity and indoor plumbing.
Glover Park's namesake is Charles Carroll Glover (1846-1936), a Washington banker and financier as well as a dedicated supporter for the development of the National Capital. He is credited with tirelessly promoting the establishing of the Rock Creek Park system and with making generous land donations which helped promote the creation of Embassy Row. Glover was instrumental in the building of the National Cathedral, in the completion of the Washington Monument, and in the concept and creation of Potomac Flats where the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials stand.
Glover is also considered the father of the National Zoo as well as Rock Creek Parkway and he participated in the Massachusetts Avenue project. Glover provided the site for the British Legation at 3100 Mass Ave, thereby initiating Embassy Row.
In 1924, Glover gifted the National Capital Parks Commission with 77 acres which was combined with a gift of 28 acres from Anne Archbold to create Glover-Archbold Park.
Most of Glover Park was developed in the mid-1920s and was a modest community with few amenities. The first school was built in 1932 and in 1936 the Calvert Motion Picture Theatre opened. In 1955 the first traffic light was installed at the intersection of Wisconsin Ave, 37th Street and Calvert Street. 1942 brought Victory Gardens, the first established by the Glover Park Community Association at 42nd Street and Tunlaw Road. Today two victory garden sites remain in Glover Park, the original and one at W Street and 42nd.
Read more about Glover Park today