Over all the years I've traveled into the Ukraine to teach, I've had one question asked over and over by my female students. The college I teach in frowns on the use of too much makeup. I get it. They don't want the beautiful Ukrainian girls distracting the easily distractable Ukrainian boys.
So, being that I'm a foreign teacher the students always want to know about my family first, but then they move right to the most important question on their minds, "Do you think girls should wear makeup?"
I've always had the same response, "If the barn needs painting, paint the barn." Of course that is always met with laughter and a certain confirmation that they should wear makeup.
When a homeowner asks, "What can I do to sell my house more quickly?" Tell them. For instance:
- Price it right.
- Keep it clean and picked up.
- Reduce the number of personal items sitting around.
- Get rid of things you don't need. That might mean renting a storage container.
- Keep the yard clean and well landscaped
- Don't take low offers personally.
- Be ready to counter-offer.
- Consider staging.
- Make it easy to show.
- Leave during showings (everybody, including pets).
- Make necessary repairs before listing.
- Don't perfume the air. Instead, air out the house and get rid of odor creating sources (such as overdue for a cleaning litter boxes, unwashed sports clothes, etc.).
- Hire an agent you are willing to trust.
Selling a house is a lot easier when you remove all of the obstacles. A homeowner should not blame an agent who has done a good job marketing a property that is not ready to be sold. When you're ready to list your property, cover all the bases that you can, and then trust your real estate professional to get the job done.