Times shared and memories made are certainly what the holidays are all about. Things may come and go but experiences and the times we spend together always remain. Last nght we watched the town lights being turned on. It was such a treat to see so many people gathering and making this memory. We are truly blessed to live in such a wonderful place and to be able to enjoy what we have with others. Trish's story is heartfelt. :) Gail
This year I'm giving my family and myself the gift of memories
I don't know about you, but I've got more "stuff" than Carter has liver pills. And as much as I like my "stuff" I feel no need to add to it. For one thing, there's no room. For another, I don't need it. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Christmas has become more work and less fun. I have no desire to spend 30 minutes looking for a parking space only to fight the crowds, spend more money than I need to, pull my back out carrying bags full of "stuff" only to spend another 30 minutes trying to remember where I parked. I'm tired just thinking about it.
When I mentioned to my daughter that I really didn't want her to spend money on gifts for me this year she said:
"You know, Mom, other than one or two big gifts, I don't really remember the presents. I do remember the time you got us out of bed because a Christmas show came on after bedtime. I remember looking in the sky for Santa on the ride home from Grandaddy's house every Christmas Eve, and driving around looking at all the Christmas decorations; all those times we spent delivering food and gifts to a family who was less fortunate. I love how we always got new pajamas on Christmas Eve, baking cookies, decorating the house and visiting family. Could our gifts this year just be making memories of time together, instead of "stuff" we don't need or want?"
Once we started talking about it, we realized how many things we can do this Christmas season that don't cost a fortune and will give us memories to cherish for many years to come. Here in Wilmington NC it's really easy to find ways to enjoy the season that don't break the bank, but do fill the heart.
1. Enchanted Airlie. Enjoy the beautiful lights of this Wilmington NC treasure. Take an entire carload for only $22. Reservations are required.
2. Wilmington NC Christmas Parade on December 4, 2011. Our favorite spot to watch the parade is on the steps of the courthouse. Be sure to get there early, bring a thermos of hot chocolate, a blanket and your Holiday Cheer!
3. Cheer on the runners at the Jingle Bell Run in Wrightsville Beach NC.
4. Check out the Christmas Lights in Carolina Beach NC.
5. Take a stroll on the Riverwalk in Downtown Wilmington. The Battleship North Carolina will be lit up and it's free to see from Downtown!
6. Visit Mayfaire's Santa Village.
7. Enjoy the Sea Notes Choral Society's FREE annual holiday concert, The Sounds of Christmas.
8. Take in the Kure Beach NC Christmas Fantasy Show on K Avenue December 9, 10 & 11 at 6:30p.
9. Park the car and take a Holiday Lights Trolley Tour of Historic Wilmington NC. Family admission (2 adults and up to 3 children) is $25.
10. Take a cruise on the Henrietta III to Pick up Santa! Admission is 6 non-perishable food items and reservations are required!
This is just the beginning of our list. We've already started baking cookies, we're going to make some new ornaments for the tree, host an old-fashioned Christmas Open House, watch It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story at least 10 times, play Christmas music all day, spend time helping those in our community who are struggling this Christmas season and just need a little love and caring, donate some toys and treats to our local animal shelter and spend some time just being in the same room with nothing to do but enjoy each other's company.
Don't get me wrong, if for some reason my daughter feels the need to buy me a sporty little BMW convertible I'll make room for it! But just in case she doesn't, I'm going to be more than happy with all of our new memories.
Copyright © 2010 - 2011 All Rights Reserved
Tish Lloyd, REALTOR®
NC Real Estate Lic. 269076
Prudential Laney Real Estate
527 Causeway Drive
Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480910.547.1446Are you following me?