To Build Or Not To Build....That Is The Question! ...Now Here is my Answer!
This is the post I wrote back on 7.23.11 ...........The comments were great! Scroll down to the bottom to see what my answer is!
We all know it's a great time to buy an existing home....good supply, lower prices, and great interest rates! The big question is...."Is it a good time to build"?
Some people say because of all the recent storms across the country that building material has sky rocketed.....BUT...
My personal opinion is that it could be a great time to build if you follow some simple steps. With new homes being built at a slower pace than in the past you may just find a builder who is ready and willing to build your dream home at a reduced price...
Here are some important things to consider if you decide to build.....
- Have a great Builder lined up.....check out other homes he has built. Talk to those people....see what they did or didn't like about the process.
- Lock in your loan....some institutions give you up to a year to build once you lock it in.
- Take your time...do not be in a hurry to get started.
- Go over and over and over your house plans...make changes before you have your final plans drawn up.
- Know your City or County building codes....Know where to go and who to ask when it comes to permits before you get started.....this will save a lot of time unless your contractor can take care of them for you!
- Interview several building supply companies...this is a must! It is imperative that you have someone you really like and trust who will stay on top of your project so that they have the material on site when needed....you don't want any downtime waiting on supplies...plus they can save you a lot of money by knowing where to get certain items.
- Go see other homes that are built with same material you are thinking about....example hardie plank vs LP board.
- Check out those trees.....if you have doubts about certain trees on your lot being a safety issue in the future then take them out before you start. It can cost hundreds more to take them out once your home is built.
- Try to have your lot paid for before you build....It may take a little while but, it will be a lot less stressful!
- Try and save 20% of your estimated building cost.....Not everyone can do this but, if you can you will be way ahead of the game!
By taking the time to follow these simple steps you can possible eliminate a lot of arguments and stress during the process...
AND NOW THE REST OF THE STORY!
At the time I wrote this post my wife and I were in the process of getting ready to build the home of our dreams! We found a house we loved and designed it completely to go on the lot we had purchased the year before.
We had the blue-prints, the builder ready to go, the lot had been graded and we even had the building supply list confirmed and ready to go ......
We were standing on the site one night with all involved and it hit me that there was no way that I could handle my job and client responsibilities and my relationship with my wonderful wife if I took on this project!
My wife and I went back to the home we had patterned this one from and the one we had fallen in love with months before and made them an offer and they accepted .....and we closed today!
We love this house!
So .....my hat goes off to anyone who can go the distance and build! It just wasn't right for us and we are as happy as can be!
Give me a call today and we will find the home of your dreams!
And Remember For All Of Your Real Estate Needs In The Bristol Tn Va and Surrounding Area....GoWithRobThomas.com
or Give Me A call at 423-341-6954
View Larger Map