Coming in at a close second is The Newlands/Old North Boulder with a total score of 52 out of a possible 60!
Here's the scoring break-down:
1. Walk Score - 7. Dependant on location within the community, while still being walkably close to downtown and it's amenities, homes here are also very close to the Ideal Shops, the N Boulder Rec Center, & Boulder's fabulous Community Gardens.
2. Proximity to Boulder Mountain Parks - 9.5. Starting at the foot of the Mt. Sanitas trailhead, just N of the mouth of Boulder Canyon, and surrounding the extremely popular N Boulder Park, The Newlands and Old North Boulder abut climbing, hiking and enjoying so many of the amazing outdoor opportunities of Boulder, one might not know where to start.
3. Proximity to Downtown Boulder - 9. Being just N of downtown, it's still just a short distance away for any and all to walk or roll right over to the shopping, dining, arts, music & entertainment for which Downtown Boulder is so famous.
4. Community Aesthetics - 8.5. While the Newlands is full of gorgeous (and a few not-so-appealing) complete remodels, many of them are build to the lot lines, leaving very little yard or green-space to buffer the differing styles. Old North Boulder is still full of those "Built-Ford-Tough" 50's & 60's brick ranches with more classic craftsman remodels, and the owners on this side of Broadway like their yard space (and so do I). To add to it all, the charming retro-50's Ideal shops and N Boulder Park create some beauty amidst the equally charming hodge-podge of these very-different-yet-similar neighborhoods.
5. Percentage of rentals vs. owner-occupied - 7.5. With very high property values still, and the highest desirability of any neighborhood in town, there's just not a lot of room for rental investors while still this close the heart of our fair city.
6. Affordability - 7. While property values in the Newlands have far exceeded the reach of most buyers, thanks to the gigantic, top-end renovations, Old North Boulder still offers more buyers opportunities to purchase a good older home with solid bones in the #2 neighborhood in town. I'd give the Newlands a 6, and Old N Boulder an 8, therefore the average is 7.
For more information or for comments, questions or other general feedback, call or email me, and we'll chat.