I remember a bazillion years ago when I was selling my first house. We did a bunch of staging things suggested by the Realtor and then we didn't want to move. I'm a firm believer in doing things that add value to your life, and your home.
Why Should The Buyer Be The Only One To Enjoy Your Updated Home?
Yesterday we posted about our feelings on brass in your home if you're trying to sell. For most buyers, brass is an indication of an outdated home. SOME buyers can't see past the superficial and will scratch a brass home right off their list.
What we commonly see is home sellers making an effort to update their home JUST PRIOR to going on the market. Which is fine, it's important to have your home optimized for the buyers, but why wait until you're ready to sell? Why not enjoy your changes personally?
There's quite a few advantages to updating your home in a gradual process rather than a blitz just prior to going on the market!
- YOU get to enjoy the changes! Financially MOST changes don't pay for themselves. Some do a pretty good job of it, but still, wouldn't it be nice to get that difference made up in personal use? That fire pit in the back yard, that super pulsating shower head, just the aesthetic look of the changes? All yours to enjoy for more than just the time you're on the market to sell IF you don't wait to update.
- You can spread out the impact on your budget. We've personally remodeled much of our home. Example, custom tile bathrooms for the master and the guest. It wasn't cheap, but the transformation was amazing. We know they're going to be real WOW factors when someday we decide to sell our own home. But by virtue of spreading out the work, both were paid for in cash. No home equity loans that add to the balance needed to sell our home if the need should suddenly arise. P.S. Need a great tile guy? Carlo at Europamerican Tile in Centerville!
- You can limit the disruption to your life. Imagine if we'd tried to do both bathrooms in our home simultaneously! We'd have needed a port-a-potty in the front yard, or would have needed to move to a hotel for a couple of weeks. Spreading out the projects allows you to set the schedule.
- You can SAVE money. If you're not on a specific deadline, you can shop and wait for sales, find that bargain faucet, light fixtures, etc. You might also find a time frame when that service professional might be a bit more negotiable in their rates.
- You reduce your stress. That's right. That helter-skelter trying to get everything done so you can beat the spring rush of getting on the market? If you've been updating your home all along, prepping your home might be as simple as decluttering and touching up some paint! Piece o' cake!
Now there are more reasons why updating your home before you're ready to sell makes sense, but this covered some of the major hitters. Go ahead, make the changes now. Just make sure your changes will stand the test of time! The avocado green and brass people didn't expect their choices to fall out of favor did they? :)
And if you need advice on what changes to make, EVEN if you don't plan on selling soon, we'd be happy to consult with you now. You get to enjoy the changes now, and we get the privilege of having an easier to sell home when you ARE ready! (And we know that you may enjoy the changes so much you may NEVER sell!)
Serving Warren County's residential real estate needs,
Liz and Bill aka BLiz
The Liz Spear Team
Elizabeth & William Spear
RE/MAX Elite: Ask for us by name if you visit the office!
Two locations: Lebanon & Mason, OH
Office direct: 513-248-3660 Liz direct: 513-265-3004
Bill direct: 513-520-5305 Fax: 866-302-8418
Buttons created at www.ButtonGenerator.com
Follow us on Social Media:
Social Media buttons courtesy of http://www.chethstudios.net
OUR SERVICE AREA: