It's Not What's on the Outside that Counts.... Or is it?
We have all heard the phrase, "It's Not What's on the Outside that Counts"! Well, I hate to break it to you, but when it comes to selling your home, What's on the outside counts just as much as what's on the inside.... If not more! Remember, You never get a second chance to make a first impression! You do not need to spend a fortune, but a little cash (and sometimes NO Cash) and a lot of elbow grease can go a long way when improving your home's curb appeal!
- A fresh coat of paint on the front door and a couple of Brightly colored flowers in pots can make a big difference.
- Replace the hardware on the front door to make it really shine.
- Fix the broken fence, remove all debris & trash from the yard.
- Keep the yard mowed and the shrubs trimmed.
- A new door mat may just be the perfect touch.
- What about the mailbox? Make sure it is standing up straight, and paint it too!
- Pressure Wash!!!!! You can make the driveway and vinyl siding look brand new in a couple of hours. Use caution with wood or other painted surfaces and remember to use Low Pressure to clean those areas to reduce splintering & chipping. If you do not own a pressure washer, they can be rented from most Home Improvement Centers.
- Keep the windows squeaky clean!
When placing your home on the market, Keep an open mind. What are the first things you notice when you pull in the driveway? Are the troll collection & other lawn ornaments in the garden a distraction? Are the house numbers clearly visable? Are the gutters clean and properly installed? Can you see the roof through the pine straw? Are the weeds taking over? Are the shutters faded or worse.... Falling off? Are the window boxes filled with dead flowers & stems? Are the outdoor lights working properly? Try to look at your home as a potential buyer would.
Once the outside looks fabulous, make sure the inside matches! And yes, Sweat the small stuff.... It can make all the difference!