One of the most important fees that Henderson, KY home buyers need to consider when beginning their search is homeowner’s insurance. It’s important to invest in this to protect your property from accidental damage or liability. As Henderson, KY real estate agent, I feel that it is important to help guide people who are buying a home through the process of obtaining insurance. After all, if you don’t have a strong insurance policy on your home, then should there be any damage done, you won’t have the coverage and protection that you need to rebuild.
While this is a necessary expense for your home, rates can also skyrocket if you aren’t careful. My experience in Henderson, KY real estate has shown that your homeowner’s insurance costs can be kept under control, if you know what to avoid. Here are eleven things that you may want to steer clear from as you settle in to your brand new Henderson, KY home!
• Dangerous dogs. Did you know that more than 4.7 million people per year are bitten by dogs? I completely understand the need to have pets. I am a huge dog-lover myself! If you have a pet that's on your homeowner insurance company's "dangerous dogs" list, however, you need to know that there’s a chance that your homeowner’s insurance rate will be higher. If you love your pooch, the extra cost will be worth it, but if you’re thinking about getting a dog, that is something to consider as you start shopping around.
• Swim at your own risk. This one is a no-brainer. Sure, pools are fun to have in the backyard, but the number of deaths by drowning each year is a liability, and thus a prime target for high insurance rates. Once again, you need to consider carefully if you want to install one of these in the backyard. You need to be prepared for a large change in expenses.
• Trampolines. Yes, these are fun, especially for the kids. They’re also not the safest toys you could own. Once again, choose wisely, because your insurance rates may soar should you choose to get one of these.
• The old-fashioned treehouse. I know that they’re fun to build, and they give the kids a place to call their own, but a house up in a tree isn’t exactly known to be 100% safe. One small note: the height of a treehouse can determine how high the rate soars, so if you want to have one, keep it on the lower side.
• Home businesses. Yes, you read that correctly. Running a business out of your home contributes to the amount that could be lost in an unforeseen accident. As a result, your premiums will likely be higher than if you have an off-site office. It’s also important to let your insurer know about your business in the event that there is an accident, or else you won’t be covered. This is definitely an expense to keep in mind as you set up shop at home!
As your Henderson, KY real estate agent, I feel that it is part of my responsibility to help my clients be aware of any aspect of their home that could cause extra fees or expenses. In the case of homeowners insurance, the list of things that could be considered a liability is extensive, and it’s important to keep them in mind as you factor in how much home you can afford. Since my primary goal is to help you have a smooth transaction through the Henderson, KY real estate market, I felt like I should point out some of the more common factors that could contribute to a rising homeowner’s insurance rate.
Our recent listings
Just $100 down with FHA Financing!
Just $100 down with FHA Financing!
Ranch Home with Open Concept Needs a Little TLC!
|Subscribe to our listing feed|