Part II will cover the sightseeing part of Oahu which will definitely be the "in thing" to do for the avid nature, scenery and picture taking lover! I am not only doing this series for the public but especially for the:
On the North Shore part of the island you will definitely find pleasure going through Old Wahiawa Town right past Mililani Town, Schofield and Wheeler Army Bases.
Continue onward to Oahu's famous North Shore where you'll see the HONU, the Hawaii Green Sea Turtle and loads of oceanfront land and beaches. Please read the following The Endangered Hawaiian 'HONU" (Green Sea Turtle) and Laws that Protect It so you will be well informed of our laws protecting all species in Hawaii.
Definite Scenic areas and points/places of interest are:
- Wahiawa Botanical Garden is located half way up Wahiawa Heights on California Avenue. It is a 27 acre Tropical Rain Forest and the deepest part of the ravine is 47 feet. Much effort has been made over the years to get the collection of native Hawaiian plants they have today.
- Dole Plantation with displays, the Pineapple Maze, displays, goodies and their famous pineapple whip it surely is a place to stop along the way to the North Shore!
Visitors Center - 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily
Pineapple Express/Pineapple Garden Maze - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily
Visiting Dole Plantation is free.
Pineapple Express Adults - $7.50, Children - $5.50
Pineapple Garden Maze Adults - $5, Children - $3
NORTH SHORE CRUISING! Historic Haleiwa town. Haleiwa (Home of the Iwa bird) was a sugar plantation town for over 100 years until 1996 Wailua Sugar (Oahu's last sugar plantation) shut down. Haleiwa remained "country" and in 1984 Haleiwa was designated a Historic, Cultural and Scenic District. Shopping and places of interest:
- North Shore Market Place
- Surf and Cultural Museum
- Haleiwa Shopping Plaza
- Wyland's Art Gallery
- Haleiwa Art Gallery
- Boutiques and Shops along the main street
- Haleiwa Joe's Restaurant (In 1899 this was a luxury 40 room hotel!)
- Shell Craft stands and more! (below)
North Shore Cruising Show:
For more information on beaches and parks click on the links below.
- City and County of Honolulu
Department of Parks & Recreation
- Visitor and Newcomer Safety Tips for Hawaii!
Be safe, have fun and Aloha!