Flooring is a great way to make a big impact on any home. As a Northern Virginia Realtor I see biggest return of investment when sellers update the out dated and worn out flooring.
Flooring can have a big impact on how large your home looks and feels.
Your flooring is like the 5th wall of your home and it's amazing how much of an impact it can make on the beauty and perceived space of your home.
1. Use the same type of flooring material and the same color across rooms. Whenever possible, continue that same surface across rooms. Here in Westchester NY, hardwood flooring is the preferred flooring, and this is one of the many reasons we are seeing the trend to add hardwood to the kitchen - by continuing the same surface, even in the kitchen, you connect the space and it just looks larger.
2. Use lighter colors. Lighter makes the space look larger. Same holds true for walls.
3. Use wider planks. Wider makes the space look larger. Same goes for tile - larger tiles make the space look larger. (On the flip side, parquet flooring makes the space look smaller, so stay away from this and stay away from small tiles)
4. Lay your floor on a diagonal. Regardless of whether you have tile or hardwood, this will make your space look larger as it carries your eye along the longest length of the room (remember trigonometry? The hypotenuse is the longest side of the triangle). It will also make your space look more visually intriguing. Note: if your room or space is very rectangular, sometimes a straight lay across the longest length is a better option, but usually diagonal is a much better choice.
5. Declutter. The more you can see the floor and walls and space, the cleaner, neater and larger you space will look. Consider throwing away some of the knickknacks and maybe even getting rid of a piece or two of furniture. It won't cost you anything. Maybe give to your kids if they are in college or donate or sell on ebay. Also, trading to a flat screen TV that can be placed on the wall can also clear up a lot of floor space.
View Westchester Hardwood Flooring in a larger map
Leveraging your floors to make your Westchester NY home look larger.
Hardwood Flooring - Carpet - Tile/Natural Stone - Laminate - Refinish Hardwood - Backsplashes
Debbie Gartner, President and Owner
"The Flooring Girl"
"We bring the store to your door."