Have you been following the case of Trayvon Martin?
This is the young black 17 year old boy who was unarmed and shot down by a self appointed neighborhood watch captain. The community was a gated community in Sanford Florida. The young man was visiting his father. He walked to a local 7-11 and was coming back through the parking lot, when accosted by George Zimmerman a self appointed community watch dog.
- Trayvon was armed with a cell phone, bag of Skittles and a can of soda. Zimmerman was armed with a 9 mm.
911 recordings show the police dispatcher told Zimmerman not to pursue this young man. To stand down! Clearly heard on recordings is Trayvon begging for someone to help him. Trayvon was on the cell phone to his girlfriend telling her what was going on. He had done nothing wrong and was scared because he was being pursued.
- Zimmerman did not stand down. A scuffle ensured instigated by Zimmerman and he shot the boy in the chest.
Trayvon had never been in any kind of trouble. Was a model young man and good student. It has taken social media and the power of the public to make officials in Sanford Fl act. There has yet to be a wholehearted investigation launched by the Mayor, City Manager, County Supervisors or the Police Chief.
- The defense Zimmerman is using is a 7 year old law called "Stand Your Ground". The law was loosely written and various interpretations make it difficult to get a clear read on the boundaries. According to written accounts murder in domestic cases has escalated since this law was passed.
I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Like Charlton Heston said "You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands." I believe in self defense and the right to bear arms. I understand the "Castle Law" and the obligation it places on the gun owner. The Castle Law does not apply to the street.
- I do not believe in loose canons or self appointed vigilantes. I have carried concealed both in employment and personally. The gun is for self defense not anger management.
In Florida Security Officers or those who act in that capacity, are required to pass testing and carry a special "carry" license after they have passed a background check. Did George Zimmerman possess the credentials required to use a handgun in the defense of non-personal property or other non-family members?
- I lived in Sanford Florida for more than 7 years. There are and have been racial tensions in some parts of the community. I can't really explain or define it. Suffice to say that the "old timers" were not the problem.
- I lived and ran a boarding kennel within 1/2 mile of a large black community called Mid-Way. It had existed for generations. I never had one ounce of trouble. I was never in fear for my safety. People would walk along my road and wave. I'd drive through their community, and we'd exchange smiles and waves. We lived around each other harmoniously.
Go into town and the climate changed. Perhaps it was the "newcomers" who gave everyone else a bad rap. Robberies, murders, fights, slurs all took place in or around the town. I never locked my car at my house. I locked it just running into 7-11 for coffee.
- Can I believe this murder was racially motivated? YES - I believe it was. I believe George Zimmerman should be arrested for murder. I believe the parents of this young man should sue the homeowners association for knowingly allowing an un-qualfied, un-vetted self appointed guard to roam their property armed with a gun.
Yesterday the County Supervisors voted 3-2 in a non-vote of confidence regarding the Police Chief. The Police department is being accused of corruption and covering up the episode. Things never change.
Do I believe that this Police Department is corrupt? Been there and seen it first hand. When I lived there I was an appointee of the County Superviors and served on a County Board. Nothing has changed. Government in Sanford has always been the "Good Ole Boy" system.
The Police Chief should be fired IMMEDIATELY.- TODAY!
- A background investigation was launched by the Police Chief into the background of Trayvon. No background investigation was ordered into the background of George Zimmerman. Actions speak louder than words.
If you have not read about this story please go to the local newspaper accounts. Go to Facebook and Twitter and sign the petitions supporting the investigation and arrest of George Zimmerman.
- This case should wrench your heart out. The senseless murder of a nice young man just because he was Black and he was There. As a society we should never tolerate racial or ethnic hate crimes of any sort.
Todays Orlando Sentinel Carries These Stories Orlando Sentinel
"The more details that emerge about the confrontation between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin, the weaker Zimmerman's self-defense claim gets."