How To Apply for an Accessory Apartment Permit in the Town of Babylon
Before applying for an accessory apartment permit, your home must meet the following criteria. Please be aware that this list is not limited. Call the town at (631) 957-7468 to find out more criteria details.
- Home must be owner occupied and your primary residence.
- You must provide off-street parking for at least four cars.
- Your home has to meet a number of specific fire and structural requirements.
- Your home must be at least 3 years old.
- Make sure the CO (certificate of occupancy) on your home does not restrict accessory apartments.
- If the apartment is new, a plumbing permit is required for the new kitchen.
- If you already have an existing apartment and a second sink, the town will let you know if you need a plumbing permit.
- Other requirements are related to smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, parking, house exteriors, stairways, handrails and doors.
Accessory apartment permits are renewable every 2 years. To help you get started here is the permit application: Accessory Apartment Permit Application.
When you sell your home, the buyer has the option of reapplying for the permit. They will have to go through the application process also.
To get more information on how to apply for an accessory apartment permit within the Town of Babylon call: (631) 957-7468 they will be more than happy to help you.