Many people, both from the area and those moving to Tampa, might be interested in knowing a little more about Hyde Park in South Tampa.
The town of Tampa was created by the establishment of Ft. Brooke in 1824. Even before the fort was built there was a fishing village in what is now the older section of the Hyde Park area. The village, which was called Spanish Town originally, was located on Tampa Bay near where Spanish Town Creek flowed into the bay at the end of Hyde Park Avenue.
Tampa was later incorporated in 1855. Later with the completion of the Lafayette Street bridge in 1888, and the opening of Henry B. Plant's magnificent Moorish style Tampa Bay Hotel in 1891, turned the city's attention to the sparsely populated west bank of the Hillsborough River.The area got it's name when in 1886, twenty acres on the West side of the river were purchased by O.H. Platt of Hyde Park, IL. Platt created the first subdivision naming it after his home town. It is the oldest platted residential area west of the river.
Hyde Park, convenient to downtown Tampa, rapidly became an attractive residential suburb. Many prominent citizens began building homes south of the Tampa Bay Hotel. Soon some of the most luxurious homes were being built south of the Tampa Bay Hotel as the pines, marsh, and latter the orange groves gave way to the need for land.
Hyde Park's charm is due in part to the cross-section of architectural styles represented and to the quiet, pedestrian-oriented, tree-lined streets, Some of which retain their original brick. The neighborhood's special character also comes from its spacious front porches, similarity in building heights and the uniform fifteen-foot required setbacks.
Hyde Park, a National Register Historical District, as well as a local one, shows off the many architectural styles that were bourgeoning at the turn of the century Often the homes demonstrate a mix of what the owner wanted and the architect - thought they wanted. Along the older streets, closest to downtown, are found large Colonial and Neo-Classical Revival structures, many now converted to commercial use.
The well-preserved residential sections south of Swann Avenue include examples of the above as well as the turn-of-the-century "Princess Anne" style, a simplified version of its Victorian predecessor, the Queen Anne. The numerous Bungalows, with their distinctive elephantine or truncated porch columns, share the shaded streets with Mediterranean Revival styles of the 1920s and the simpler American Four square.
More recently the center of Hyde Park has moved to the corner of Swann and Dakota. With the addition of Old Hyde Park Village. The village is a collection of restaurants and stores, which used to include a movie theater. People from the neighborhood and beyond come to walk near the fountain and shop. I made a wonderful anchor for the Hyde park neighborhood. The Schools that serve most of Hyde Park are Gorrie, Wilson, and Plant High School. Both Gorrie and Wilson are beautiful historic buildings which are located within Hyde Park.
The homes in Hyde park range in price from around $400,000 up to many millions along Bayhsore.
Please visit us at our South Tampa Real Estate website with any questions or help you might need with your property search!
We provide E-mail updates for people interested in knowing about hot new listings in South Tampa before other Buyers here: new listings
For more info about different areas in South Tampa, please visit:
South Tampa Homes and Real Estate for great info on all the South Tampa neighborhoods.
A more specific list of recent sales for properties in Hyde Park can be found at: http://www.jeannewolfe.com/DDDIUpdateCurrent.htm
Scott Wolfe P.A.
Smith & Associates