Central Presbyterian Church
132 S. Third St.
Originally known as the Second Presbyterian Church, the building was constructed 1857-1860. It was built of sandstone, which arrived in Columbus via canal boat. The Romanesque Revival church was designed by Sidney M. Stone, a prolific and revered Connecticut architect who specialized in church architecture. The congregation and church became known as Central Presbyterian in 1901, when the Second and Westminster congregations merged. One of Columbus’ oldest religious buildings, the Central Presbyterian Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Central Presbyterian Church closed in November 2011, due to diminished membership and rising maintenance costs. Columbus Landmarks Foundation has been invited by the Presbytery committee in charge of the closure to participate in discussions related to the future of this prominent mid-19th century building. The building is listed for sale for $775,000 by R.S. Garek Associates.