I wrote this post a few years ago at the height of the housing market collapse. Although market conditions are constantly changing and we appear to be leaving the recession market, the qualities needed to survive any market remain fairly constant. In a nutshell, agents need to be using new school techie tools to help them reach, engage and stay in contact with the market movers--sellers and buyers.
Are you an endangered species? You may be on the list and not even know it. Today's savvy agent is relying on technology, market knowledge and plain old survival tactics. Darwin knew what he was talking about, when he coined the phrase 'Survival of the Fittest' and it still holds true.
How do you score on the real estate fitness test?
1. Do you show up for work five days a week? Someone once said showing up is half the battle and it's true. A few months ago I had a 'drop in' at my office. In the course of the conversation he mentioned his son was attending a few open houses and beginning to get serious about purchasing a home in Palos Verdes. A few weeks ago we closed escrow. The lead was dropped in my lap because I was there.
2. Are you procreating your own leads? Or are you procrastinating and passively waiting for the market to improve? While many agents are cutting back, taking a break, and hoping the market will change, the savvy agent is enlarging his piece of the real estate pie.
3. Do you have a plan of action each day? The key word is action. A plan is good, but without action the best laid plan will fail. You must interact with the principals who move the market--buyers and sellers.
4. Do you hold yourself accountable? Yes, the market is slow, but it is not dead. Breathe more life into your segment and stop commiserating with those who continue to suck the life out of it. Stop whining and start winning!
5. Are you making each ordinary day extraordinary in some way? Take a few moments and write down three, yes just three extraordinary things you are going to do today to bring more business your way. Three is a very small number but the results may surprise you. The elite pool of extraordinary agents has room for you. Dive in.
Sell Smart, Buy Wise and Live Well
Norma Toering & Team RE/MAX Estate Properties
PalosVerdesLifestyle- Norma's award winning site as the best Palos Verdes homes and real estate blog since 2007. Selected by Relocation.com as one of the top ten Los Angeles area real estate blogs. Chosen by MovingCost.com as one of the best Los Angeles realty blogs. Awarded 5 out of 5 stars by Lender411 blog review. Ranked by Technorati in the top 1% of all blogs. As seen in the Daily Breeze newspaper.
South Bay Los Angeles cities I sell real estate, property, houses and homes in: Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Long Beach, Torrance, Lomita, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach. Based on information from the Association of REALTORS®/Multiple Listing as of the initial date of this article/blog publication and /or other sources. Display of MLS data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS. The Broker/Agent providing the information contained herein may or may not have been the Listing and/or Selling Agent.
Find Norma on: Facebook - Twitter - LinkedIn - Email Norma - Google+
Palos Verdes Homes Blog - Palos Verdes Houses
Palos Verdes Horse Property - Palos Verdes Realtor Agent
Palos Verdes Coastal Homes - Los Angeles Home Search
Photos of Palos Verdes - Palos Verdes Videos
Palos Verdes Luxury Homes - Beach Cities Homes