Which is better, a one story or two story home?
What to Consider when Choosing Your Raleigh New Home
The number one most important deciding factor when choosing between a one story and two story home is your lifestyle.
What are some common lifestyle considerations? Do you have children that need bedrooms close to yours? Will you have elderly or disabled guests (short or long term)? Do you already own a lot - if so, how large is it?
Why Build a One Story Home?
Here are just a few reasons why you should consider building a one story home in North Carolina:
- No stairs! A one story home can be fully accessible in every room.
- All bedrooms are already on the same floor - and anyone can get to them.
- The exterior will be longer and wider than a two story home (for a given square footage), providing more visual appeal.
Why Build a Two Story Home?
Here are just a few reasons why you should consider building a two story home in North Carolina:
- While you will need to go up and down stairs, a two story home can include an elevator for full accessibility. See a custom home with an elevator in this version of the Dugan.
- All bedrooms can still be placed on the same level - and are generally placed on the second floor of a two story home. Main floor master homes tend to have the master bedroom and all living areas on the first floor and secondary bedrooms on the second floor.
- The exterior of a two story home is more compacted (square footage extends up), but the amount of visual appeal is a matter of personal preference.
- A two story home can fit better on a small lot space. If you own or plan to buy a smaller lot, you may need to consider two story floor plan options.
- Two story homes can be more energy efficient, such as heat rising to warm the second story in the winter.
So, why are two story homes more popular?
Because two story homes cost less per square foot! There is less roofline, framing, and foundation for a given amount of square footage. Extending your home upwards will save you money.
Still undecided? Watch video tours of real homes we designed and built for real people – here are our most requested one story homes!
Compare our most requested two story floor plans, below.