Personal mottos inspire us to take action, to overcome obstacles and live up to our highest selves … to tap into the best that is within us and bring it to the world.
Mottos are all around us, though without questions the most memorable have come to us courtesy of major corporations, such as Nike’s “Just Do It” and Apple’s “Think Different”.
A personal motto is a little different, while some may consider it a branding tool, ultimately the purpose of a personal motto is to inspire us to take action, to overcome obstacles and keep working toward our goals, persevering even in the face of overwhelming opposition.
A personal motto represents a core belief that helps shape our behavior as we try to live up to the message it expresses.
Our mottos become guide posts and verbal beacons along the road we travel. They serve as reminders that it is possible to fashion a life of our choosing based on our core values combined with the passions that inspire us.
Some mottos are grand and sweeping statements while others are short and simple. Some people have one motto for life and others for special goals or events. Many are chosen from favorite quotations or songs that have inspired us, others crafted from scratch based on personal values and goals.
A personal motto will energize you while keeping you focused.
A personal motto can be a powerful motivational tool, but the key to moving it beyond merely words on a page to a true energizing power house is combining it with your commitment to laying it all on the line to create the life you really want for yourself.
It doesn’t matter where your motto comes from or how long or short it is; all that really matters is that it honestly represents the values you hold dear, and invokes real emotion right down to your gut …
Let your motto become expressions of your character. And let your character be informed by the words you use to express it.
Live good. Be happy. Make it a great day!
· You don’t have to be great to get started, but you have to get started to be great. ~ Les Brown
· Success will never be a big step in the future, success is a small step taken just now. ~ Jonatan Martensson
· Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Helen Keller
· We must become the change we wish to see in the world. ~Mohandas (Mahatma) Gandhi
· Whatever it takes! ~Anonymous
· The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. ~Joseph Campbell
· Every wall is a door. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
· Winners never quit and quitters never win! ~Vince Lombardi
· You must do the things you think you cannot do. ~Eleanor Roosevelt
· If you take responsibility for yourself…you will develop a hunger to accomplish your dreams. ~Les Brown
· If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more; you are a leader. ~John Quincy Adams
· A healthy attitude is contagious but don’t wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier. ~Tom Stoppard
· Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid. ~Basil King
· Heaven on Earth is a choice you must make, not a place you must find. ~Wayne Dyer
· Never let your memories be greater than your dreams. ~Doug Ivester
· It is not what you are that holds you back, it’s what you think you are not. ~Denis Waitley
· Get busy living, or get busy dying. ~from Shawshank Redemption