While you're reading this post, feel free to enjoy the inserted video....
It's a normal progression in online social networks, as membership gets larger and larger, for the community to suffer from a league of growth-related issues. The more people who join, the more challenging it is to keep things intimate and personal. With increased numbers always comes a greater potential for the 'dregs' of cyberspace to find their way in and spoil all the fun.
* * * * * * * * SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES * * * * * * * *
An alarming common thread I've been hearing of late is that our beloved network community has become less and less loving. Seems as though a few bullies, flamers, and stalkers have found their way in among us, and are wreaking their havoc upon our cherished family.
Historically, one of the main attractions and benefits of this network has been the wonderful environment of encouragement and fostering meaningful relationships. It's been a safe haven of sorts, an oasis/retreat to find solace from the stresses/pressures of day-to-day life.
- Do not personally attack another person.
- Do not slander another person.
- Do not send unsolicited emails, or faxes, or make unsolicited phone calls to another member.
- We encourage free speech and defend everyone's right to express unpopular points of view. But we don't permit hate speech which contains slurs or the malicious use of stereotypes intended to attack or demean a particular gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or nationality.
- There is zero tolerance for predatory behavior, stalking, threats, harassment, invading privacy, or the revealing of other members' personal information. Anyone caught doing these things may be permanently banned from ActiveRain.
In my humble opinion, I think we've been a bit too lax on the 'Zero' tolerance policy. Not intentionally, mind you. The AR gods love this community they've built and place the greatest value on its members. But the community needs to know that these kind of issues, and the 'dregs' that cause them, will be dealt with swiftly and seriously.
So if you're one of these few Bad Apples, consider this post as putting you on notice. Shape up, or you WILL be shipped out!
* * * * * * * * SPREADING THE LOVE! * * * * * * * *
Okay, so for the rest of you Happy Campers, here's your homework for the coming week (yes, Virginia, there is homework!):
I want you to take a few minutes out of your day, and call another fellow Rainer. It has to be someone you've never talked to before. Spend a few minutes getting to know each other and sharing words of encouragement. This should be a regular part of your ActiveRain Network activities, just like making your daily comments, and consistent blog posting. Make it a point to call one AR member every week!
This is OUR community. WE are the ones who will make it become all that it can be!
~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~
Rich Jacobson is a licensed real estate professional providing knowledgeable empowerment and relentless representation for his clients of residential properties and vacant land throughout all of Kitsap County WA and portions of Pierce, Mason, and Jefferson Counties. You can also find him at KitsapLife.com, SOUNDBITEBLOG and Crabbing in the Hood, or e-mail: email@example.com