Mold Guidance Provided by the Connecticut Department of Public Health for Homeowners.
Here is a great piece of information to pass along to homeowners from the Connecticut Department of Public Health, CT DPH, a four page booklet for “Mold Guidance for Real Estate, Banking, And Insurance Communities”. This guide provides useful information on what to do if you suspect mold in your home. It covers four general scenarios:
- Houses with no known problems
- Houses with suspected problems
- Houses with known problems
- Houses that have had mold abatement performed
Mold needs water and food to grow, so the first thing to do is to stop the source of water, the second is to remove damaged organic material such as wet sheetrock and porous wet materials. Third is to clean up the clutter and non moldy items and finally air out and dry out the space.
If you do end up needing to do abatement then the CT DPH recommends that you hire a third party post abatement party to verify that the contractor has performed the abatement job correctly. To find more information and links go to CT DPH website
With links to further useful handouts such as:
- Get the Mold Out: Mold Clean Up Guidance for Residences.
- Indoor Air Quality Testing Should Not Be The First Move.
- Connecticut Guidelines For Mold Abatement Contractors.
David Popoff is a Connecticut license real estate agent in lower Fairfield County. He has lived and worked in the area for over 30 years and now reside in Darien since 2004.
- Green Affiliations.
- Realtor GREEN designation by the National Association of Realtors.
- David Popoff is an accredited LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) Homes and USGBC member of the Connecticut chapter (CTGBC).
- Associate member and an accredited Certified Green Professional (CGP) of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and the local chapter HBRA-Fairfield County, Ct.
- Member of the Multiple Listing Service, MLS.
- Greater Fairfield County
- Member of the Connecticut Association of Realtors, CAR.
- Member of the National Association of Realtors, NAR.
- Contact David Popoff at William Pitt Sotheby’s for all your real estate needs in Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Rowayton and the rest of lower Fairfield County.