Today's post is a guest post by
San Diego home inspector Russel Ray.
Electric panels are not supposed to cause problems. They are supposed to prevent them. There are some electric panels that have problems associated with them — Federal Pacific Electric (FPE), Zinsco, Sylvania when they bought the Zinsco brand; they are just Zinsco panels under another name.
Whenever I find such panels, I recommend that they be replaced "before close of escrow." Some real estate agents don't like me specifying when something should be done, but I'm trying to protect the interests of my Clients. Those three brands are latent but significant fire hazards. The last thing I want to see is two real estate agents fighting over when to replace the electric panel. I have told them when to replace it — before close of escrow. There should be no discussion now other than who wants to pay how much to replace it.
In February 2012, over in Florida, after a house burned down, investigators blamed the FPE "Stab Lok" panel. Action 9 discovered other fires and the information about the FPE Stab Lok panels, information that we home inspectors know all too well.
Sellers like to take me to task by saying, "That panel has been there for thirty years and hasn't caused any problems." Electirc panels in and of themselves don't cause problems. They prevent problems, like a fire when the dishwasher shorts out. Some panels, like those mentioned, don't prevent such problems. They fail miserably.
If you have an FPE, Zinsco, or Sylvania panel, call your electrician now and have it replaced. It's not worth the risk of losing your home and all your possessions, valuable, and memories.
To read the complete article about the fires in Florida and the investigation by the Action 9 news team in Orlando, click Fires waiting to happen.
Originally posted at Real Estate Solutions by Russel Ray
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Plaza condominium market (5/16/2012)
- USS San Diego (LPD-22) open for tours; commissioning set for May 19
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Plaza condominium community
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Playmor condominium market
- Out & About San Diego — Mission Federal ArtWalk, April 28 & 29, 2012
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Playmor condominium community
- It's time to strut your stuff at the San Diego Zoo! — Guest post by Russel Ray, San Diego home inspector, and Eric Cooper of Russel Ray Photos
- Run/walk across the San Diego-Coronado Bay Bridge in U.S. Navy's 26th Bay Bridge Run/Walk on May 20
- Out & About San Diego — For the most spectacular views of San Diego: Cabrillo National Monument. It's free this week only.
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Heights condominium market (April 18, 2012)
- CPSC and Viking Range announce dishwasher recall due to fire hazard
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Heights condominium community
- Out & About San Diego — Butterfly Jungle at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park is now open
- Mission Valley Living — Mission Greens condominium market in San Diego's Mission Valley (March 20, 2012)
- Out & About San Diego — The 2012 San Diego Crew Classic: Rowing season starts here!