If you're in the market to buy a new house in the Glenview area, going to open houses in the area where you plan to buy can be a great way to spend a few hours on the weekend. But if you're serious about buying a home, ask some questions at the open house to find out what you're really looking at.
Here are some things to ask when you hit that open house circuit this weekend:
1. Have there been any offers on the house yet? This may sound kind of nosy, but it lets you know if you have any competition if you decide to make an offer. Try to find out if offers have been rejected and why. This can give you an edge on making your own offer and getting it accepted.
2. How long has the house been on the market? If the house has been on the market for quite awhile, you might be able to get a lower offer accepted.
3. Has the price been reduced? If the owners have already reduced the price, possibly more than once, they may not be as willing to go even lower, so be careful in making a really low offer. On the other hand, if they're willing to reduce the price once or twice, maybe they'll do it again to make a deal.
4. Why are the homeowners selling? Sometimes it may be difficult to get an answer to this question. If so, keep asking, and eventually you'll probably learn something.
5. Has the house been in escrow but didn't close? If the answer is yes, try to find out why. Was it an appraisal issue? Did an inspection turn up some major trouble? Was the buyer not able to get a mortgage? The answer could mean the difference between making and offer and not!
6. Are there any liens on the property? These could be construction liens, tax liens, or other unpaid debts that might come back to haunt the new homeowner.
7. Are there other costs? Find out if there are HOA fees or rules you may not want to live under. If you have pets, ask if pets are allowed, and if so, are there special fees to have them. Are there parking fees? How much are property taxes?
If you're coming to Glenview to see some open houses, you might also want to give The Marla Schneider Team a call at 847-657-3790 or contact us online to revisit some of the houses you see or some others you may not know about yet. We are local experts and can help you find the perfect home for you and your family in the Glenview, Wilmette, Northbrook, or North Shore areas.