EVERYONE HAPPY TODAY?
No, I didn't think so. Despite the fact we live in the wealthiest country in the world, we seem to have a hard time being happy.
In a recent ranking the United States didn't even make it into the top 10 for happiest countries.
Our neighbor, Canada, is ranked as the second happiest country in the world (behind only Denmark).
I guess its true - money can't buy happiness.
So how do we become happier?
Well, plenty of people have studied such things and following is a bit of advice from those who claim to know:
- Spend less than you earn. Yes, it is easier said than done. But it's true. Worry over financial issues is the number one reason for stress and unhappiness. It is ranked first as the cause of divorce and suicide. Remember, we don't need a lot of money - we just need enough.
- Invest in healthy relationships. We live in a mobile society. We move away from those we love or they move away from us. If you really want to be happy, reconsider that relocation for the better paying job. Or, on the flip side, consider relocating if there is family living somewhere else.
- Decide to be happy. Circumstances end up determining our happiness less than 10 percent of the time. It really is all about attitude. Nurture a positive attitude, try to be happy and you will be a long ways toward being just that - regardless of the circumstances you find yourself in.
- Forgive and forget. I forget why this matters, but it does.
- Don't let your job get you down. Most of us work to earn money to support ourselves. Find your happiness elsewhere.
- Commit random acts of kindness. Make someone else feel better and you will feel better too. It really is that simple.
- Exercise, be as healthy as you can be. When you feel better, well, you feel better. Plus, exercise is a great stress manager. So the next time you want to feel happier about things, take a walk.
- Get a pet - then pet it. Petting a dog or cat doesn't just make them feel good. It will lower your blood pressure and make you feel good too.
- Smile and laugh. It works. Express happiness and you will feel it. For some reason, it really is that simple.
- Don't take things personally. Events occur. Really, the world isn't working against you - even if it feels that way sometimes.
- Finally, be realistic about being happy. No one is happy all of the time, but we all can be happy more often than not. If you have a mood, be moody. Just know it will pass and when it does, get back on the happy wagon.
There, I'm feeling happier already. Hope you all are doing the same. Have a good Friday.