Ever gotten roped into doing another job that you didn’t anticipate in your listing agreement? Have you been taken advantage of by a client who wants you to perform free services? Do you observe agents going “over and above” their salesperson responsibilities?
It’s easy to do just that, when there are so many licensed agents and they are all hungry for work. Some are willing to perform activities outside of their employment agreement simply in hopes of getting paid work. And we really love to help homeowners save their houses from foreclosure, don’t we! But we need to remember, that first and foremost, we are real estate SALESPEOPLE.
Real Estate Salespeople should NOT do the following:
· Become a bank (for REO banks who want agents to bankroll repairs, C4K, etc.)
· BPOs or property valuations for a fee, or for parties who are not our buyer/seller clients
· Cash for Keys negotiator with foreclosed homeowners
· Debris hauler
· Evictor - Get bad tenants out of property
· House cleaner
· Loan modifications
· Loan money to our clients or pay their expenses from our commission
· Mortgage loans
· Save property from foreclosure
· Short sale negotiating
· Stage homes
If you don’t believe me, read your EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT (listing agreement & buyer rep agreement) with your client (seller & buyer). Then read your Independent Contractor Agreement with your brokerage. Then read the Department of Real Estate laws.