Mauldin’s history dates back to the late 1880’s. During the World War I, Great Depression and other economic changes, the population fluctuated several times. Benjamin Griffith received a land grant of 100 acres and settled in Mauldin on the 18th of June 1784. In 1868, another man named Mr. Willis William Butler bought a piece of the land right at the corner of Reedy River Road and Laurens. This area was known as the Butler corners and eventually became Butler’s Crossroads.
In 1880, Mr. Riley E. Cox bought a 152 acre of land on both sides of Laurens Road. A good friend of the Cox’s family who visits Butler’s Crossroads also happens to be the Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina. A new railroad was to be built was proposed by the Greenville Laurens Railroad Company. This railroad track will completely pass by Butler’s Crossroads. The wife of Mr. Cox became aware of the route and asked the Lt. Governor to convince other officials to have the rail track run directly through the town. The Cox family donated the land for a train depot in 1896 as a gratitude to the Lt. Governor’s successful efforts. Mrs. Cox requested that the new train depot be named in honor of the Lt. Governor Mauldin.
On December 24, 1890, the town received its original charter. The Secretary of the State and its first Mayor, A.L. Holland was elected to the office upon the town re-incorporation in February 14, 1910. During the Great Depression in 1930’s, the town’s population dropped. People started filling in again when the Donaldson Air Force Base was constructed. The citizen’s vote to keep the town chartered instead of becoming part of Greenville was made on the 28th of May, 1957. More than decade later, Mauldin’s population went to 3,797 and the property estimated cost reached $23 million.
At present, Mauldin, South Carolina, has a high quality for life that greatly values tradition and strong family bonds together with its residents of nearly 23,000. They are known for their great education, excellent recreation programs and impressive public safest and public work services.