On occasion, the Atlanta home inspector will encounter a slithery serpent, all coiled up and hissing. When inspecting an Atlanta home’s exterior, it is important to remember that snakes like to hide in flowers, shrubbery, long grasses and bushes. This is one reason why keeping a tidy yard is important. It is also very important to familiarize yourself with snakes that are indigenous to your region. Luckily, the snake in this photo was living in a glass habitat, in the basement, as a pet.
Did you know that snakes can strike from a distance that is half their body length away? This makes it very important to steer clear of areas that could promote the snakes to thrive. While we as humans might realize the dangers of stomping through tall grass, our furry four-legged friends might not – and may even be enticed to investigate. So here are a few pointers for you that the APCC (Animal Poison Control Center) have put together.
First, remember to walk your pet on a leash and steer clear of bushes and grassy areas that a snake would most likely be found in.
What to do if you think your pet’s been bitten:
· Stay calm.
· Keep your pet calm, too, by limiting his activity.
· If your pet was bitten on the neck, remove his collar.
· If possible, keep the location of the bite below heart level.
· Seek veterinary care for your pet immediately.
· Treatment options such as cold packs, ice, tourniquets, alcohol, bleeding the wound and trying to suck out venom should not be attempted in place of getting your pet to the vet.
· Always keep your personal safety in mind and do not try to catch or kill a snake yourself.
· Even if you think a snake is dead, never handle him. Some dead snakes are capable of inflicting a bite by muscle contractions.
Recognize snake bite symptoms:
· Local or general swelling
· Intense pain
· Low blood pressure
· Dead tissue around the wound
· Shortness of breath
· Renal failure
When you find your dream home, make sure that you get a thorough home inspection in Atlanta, GA from the home inspector Atlanta, GA, David Lelak of IHI Home Inspections, they serve Atlanta and all of North Georgia. Call us today at 404-788-2581 for a thorough home inspection in Atlanta. We won’t let you buy the money pit. You can also schedule your Atlanta home inspection today online. We create Peace of Mind One Atlanta home inspection at a time. Be sure to check out all the other reasons other customers chose IHI Home Inspections at our original website.