In an interesting article on Inc.com called “Without This Skill, You Won't Succeed," business writer Jeff Haden asked 20 business owners and CEOs to pinpoint the one skill everyone needs in order to succeed! He got the same answer again and again: it is Sales Skills!!!
Surprised? You shouldn't, as selling here transcends the common prototype associated in people's mind with manipulation and pressuring to mean communication and how to successfully explain the logic behind any idea or decision you make. The sooner you learn it in your career the better as it allows you to win negotiations, secure deals and connect effectively with your clients, employers and employees!
The benefits of sales skills are numerous, says Haden:
- Learn to negotiate: whether we are aware of it not, negotiating is in the heart of every business!! Successful sales people know how to listen, which will enable them to make final decisions based on an elaborate process that involves evaluating variables and overcoming objections in order to reach a mutual agreement that benefits all parties and keeps the doors open for future business endeavors.
- Learn to close: and to master the difficult skill of asking people what do you want, it is part science, part art says Haden.
- Learn persistence: to see the word "no" as a challenge not a rejection, and to implement an effective objection handling system until you reach your goal.
- Learn self-discipline: when you are in sales business that is based on commissions it is your performance that will get you paid by the end of the day, no better way to learn self-discipline than sales!
- Gain self-confidence: in a wide range of situations, especially under pressure and during a crisis.
The final advice, if you have just started your business or if you are struggling with one, go and take a sales job for some time and learn this valuable skill, you will see the huge difference it will make in your business later on!
When you're ready to buy or sell a home in Calgary, we are your real estate agents of choice. Be sure to use our quick and easy search feature. We're the experts, and we're here to help you! Contact Calgary Home Team today for more information on how we can help you achieve your real estate goals at 403-519-9102 or via email.