Simple Ways to Save Money on Your Home Energy Bill
ChristianPF.com recently released an article featuring simple techniques the average homeowner can use to save money on their energy bills each month. The article explains that while old houses have the greatest room for improvement, there are many simple fixes that can be made to new houses to improve their efficiency.
The author suggests not waiting around for the proposed Cash for Caulkers stimulus program, but to get started now. The following suggestions can help you improve your home's energy efficiency.
- Whenever you leave the house or go to sleep, lower your thermostat down a bit. It has been said, "If you consistently set your thermostat back at night 10 degrees Fahrenheit, you may reduce your heating bill by 10-20%."
- You can take this to the next level by always keeping the thermostat lower and wearing warmer clothes around the house.
- Lower the temperature on the water heater to 120 degrees. If you have smaller children, this could be a safety measure as well. 160 degree water coming out of your faucet can be a bit dangerous. Also, turn off the hot water heater when on vacation.
- Open windows during the day- especially if they are south-facing. But close them up at night to keep the heat in.
- Install Foam Gaskets behind electric-outlet and switch-plate covers.
- Add or fix your weather stripping, door sweeps and thresholds.
- Get a programmable thermostat and set it to be lower when you aren't home or are sleeping.
- Buy caulk and seal all windows, doors and any other areas where air leaks might be present.
- Replace your furnace air filters at least every 60 days. It will yield better air for your family to breathe and a more efficient furnace.
Finding your Richmond, VA. dream home has never been easier, use our links to get started.
The Marcus & Tonya Rice Team specializes in Richmond, Va, Henrico County, Chesterfield County, Powhatan County, Hanover County, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, and Fort Lee Homes and Real Estate for sale. We are tech savy realtors with over 11 years experience. Please join us on our Social Networking Network to stay up to date on Richmond Virgina real estate news and more...
The Marcus Rice Team can be reached at 804-247-8187 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Marcus Rice Team
13204 Hull Street Rd.
Midlothian, VA 23112
Call Marcus at 804-247-8187
Short Sale Site: http://www.vashortsaleteam.com