The past couple of weeks have been ahem….frantic, frenetic, fraught with stress and tension and frankly…a bit on an active draining side. (Get it? Sieve, slotted spoon?) The one thing it hasn’t been is boring, never boring.
The thing is, working in real estate is often predictably unpredictable. REALTORS are working harder than ever for many reasons. Here are a few reasons I think this is happening and I’d appreciate you all adding some of yours:
- There’s fewer of us! Is there anyone out there who’s MLS membership has actually grown?
- The standards and stakes are higher for everyone and every property to meet underwriters’ requirements.
- We are at the mercy of years and years of repairing glossed over issues…road maintenance and shared well agreements, unrecorded handshake and sweetheart agreements, etc.
- The freaking media over generalizing the real estate market, imho, because sound bites are easier than real research and specific reporting.
- The absolute lack of control over the schedules and timelines of your team partners…lenders, title companies, closing attorneys and sometimes even your clients!
These blog posts have a life of their own. I started out wanting to compare working in real estate with juggling water or jello, herding cats or walking the plank blindfolded but each draft I started just sounded like whining. So, I’ve improved it by sounding like ranting. It’s a much more powerful position, lol. Actually, that deserves an lol, a chuckle, a guffaw and a belly laugh!
Of the deals we have in the works right now, a couple of them are just like that…keeping them together and making it all work for our clients while working twice as hard to not let any detail (many out of our control) drip through the openings of the slotted spoon holding them. Yeah, it’s been actively draining a little bit.
I can’t wait to see your additions to the list. And oh by the way...I feel better now!