Predicting the next step people will take with your business or personal interactions with them has always fascinated me. Human behavior of course is unpredictable but not TOTALLY unpredictable. We have personality profiling like the DISC and Meyers Briggs which you can learn about more on the web but beyond learning that
People Read With Their Patterns
It is like putting a puzzle together or staying two steps ahead of someone in chess.
- Word patterns - how fast or slow someone talks you can detect areas of the country they come from, if they are calm or rushed, a clear or erratic thinker
- Vocabulary choices and extent - I know a guy who constantly says gnarly, rad, and stoked and it reflects immaturity and self-absorption to the nth degree and I think of him as a mental midget head banger. I know another person uses those $100 words all the time, wide vocabulary, and either he is well read or is good at crossword puzzles. The choice of our words says a lot about what is going on inside us, good, bad, juvenile or scholarly
- Behavior patterns - people who come habitually late to appointments, say one thing do another, say half truths, lie by omission, others who will give you the shirt off their back while they have nothing, behavior patterns are the most interesting keys to what will happen next if you pay attention. Why? You will see that same behavior over and over. It is ingrained in them
- Health patterns - have you ever noticed fit people seem to have more energy? Some persist in being slugs and complaining about every ache and pain almost to exaggeration rather than trying to improve themselves best they can.
- Core service patterns - some people give and volunteer and communicate well for others while you run into this minority in society that are HUGE pure TAKERS from you and everyone else at every turn
- Facial feature patterns - are they expressive, grumpy, extremely happy, sad, down in the dumps looking, sleezy or a poker face? There will be some consistency there including the eyes, warm looking eyes, cold eyes, staring eyes or shifty untrustworthy eyes. Some people can completely deceive you with a laugh, a wide smile, loud talk and charisma, and are COMPLETELY a snake in the grass. You'll figure it out eventually, but if you're a good pattern reader you'll figure it out FAST
I don't mean to judge the patterns I see at every observation as right or wrong, but sometimes I do know we all play that birds of a feather flock together by looking at our own patterns. For example I am a very strongly consistent person and also loyal to a fault. Those that are extremely flaky with their consistency to me get on my nerves and also those that come and go to me with their loyalty to me rattle me. Different is good for variety and growth, extremely different is incompatible.
My point with the identifying PATTERNS with people is you want to understand if they are going to be a difficult person for you. How do you negotiate with them and win KNOWING with high probability their next step? People who are alike have similar behavior and don't change it. Well, truly the change only CAN come from them or YOU for yourself. You are trying to gauge the compatibility you have with another, not manipulate them.