Our friend Gary Waters who lives down in Brevard County has written a fabulous post on 10 Common Sense Rules for Buying a Home. The one we take exception to is #4 since up here in Gator Country, that can be considered a deal maker :)
The below rules for buying a home is not an all-inclusive list of things to know when buying or selling a home. Your real estate agent has the complete list - call him or her!
10. The better the view, the higher the price. It does not matter what the view consists of specifically (water, preservation area, ocean, pond, etc.). When it comes to condos add this as well "The higher the floor, the higher the price. "
9. "As is" does not always mean "as is." Sellers will sometimes negotiate off a price, make some repairs, or give a monetary concession rather than find another buyer and start all over again.
8. Gated does not mean secure unless you have a guard on duty. Having a gate gives a homeowner a nice warm feeling but people can still get into your community. If you have a manned gate 24 hour a day and perhaps even a patrol then I would suggest you are somewhat more secure.
7. The outside of the house is almost an indicator of how well the inside is (or is not) maintained. If the yard is neglected, paint is fading, plants are dead...likely the inside will be neglected as well!
6. Golf course direct is more expensive than "in golf course community." If you have a home on or near the green or fairway you will pay more than if it is on the other side of the street in the same community.
3. Some words are the kiss of death. You have read them all...cozy, cute, TLC, fixer upper, compact, charmer, etc. Properties are best described by using facts only.
2. The price is low for a reason. People do not sell very many things including a house for a significant discount. There is always a reason for the low price and it is usually because of condition, location, poor view, etc.
1. Do not believe everything you read - period. The title said there were 10 common sense rules for buying a home here, didn't it?
Buying or selling a home or condo in Brevard County, Florida? Email me - I Can Help!
Gary L. Waters PLLC, Florida licensed real estate agent, Century 21 Baytree Realty, Rockledge, Florida serving Florida's Space Coast including the cities and communities of Melbourne, Viera, Rockledge, Suntree, Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach and the surrounding region.