My voice is still gone. So what to do? Start writing a blog and see where it takes me. How about neighbors?
I recently house-sat for a friend who went out of the country. This townhouse was part of a planned community where people lived pretty close to each other. It was an eye opener for me because I live in a sprawling place in the middle of a forest. There are neighbors, but we:
1. pretty much look out for each other, especially when strangers appear in the area,
2. try to be sensitive to noise levels,
3. help each other out when something needs to be fixed or lifted,
4. put out the flag, halloween pumpkin and Christmas lights when the season indicates it.
5. are NEVER obviously nosy, but the "coconut wireless" is pretty active.
And at my friend's townhouse:
1. You may as well be in New York, no one knows each other really well. Guess "good party walls make good neighbors".
2. The neighbor's dog barks incessently for hours on end, no one says anything. Or was I the only one working from home?
3. But just try to hang the "nonconforming" light ficture on the front door, and get a letter from the HOA the next day. (I am not saying it's bad since that is the nature of the townhouse, still, you know you are being watched VERY CLOSELY.)
I am so glad to be back home in my laid-back place. It's apple season so bears come through the neighbors yard at night, and deer show up at dusk and dawn. My yellow lab chased one this morning.
PS. Hope my voice is back on Monday, this laryngitis sucks! Hope the blog wasn't TOO bad. I have been trying to get one done a day.