Schools all over New Jersey are opening this week, so it's time for our annual reminder about school safety.
For children who are walking to school:
- Be sure you're walking on the sidewalk!
- Cross streets at the corner only and use the crosswalk and crossing guard if there's one available!
For children who are riding their bikes to school:
- Wear your helmet!
- Ride on the right side of the road, single file.
- Follow all the rules of the road.
For children riding the school bus:
- Get to your bus stop early and stand well back from the curb.
- Walk in front of the bus, where the bus driver can see you, and get on or off your bus only when the driver says it's ok.
- Stay seated on the bus until it has completely stopped.
Drivers also need to use extra caution now because children will be on the roads, especially before and after school.
- Watch out for children at intersections and in crosswalks, especially those with no crossing guards.
- Check twice when pulling out of or into your driveway.
- Beware of children running out from between parked cars.
- Stop for any school bus that is stopped with its lights flashing, even if it's on the other side of the road.