As real estate agents, one time or another, will or have been asked these questions:
- Do any sex offenders live nearby?
- Can you tell me which areas of town have the least amount of crime?
- Has anyone died in this home?
- What churches are close by?
I don’t answers these questions – rather direct clients to specific websites that can.
The Tucson Police Department recently linked up with a nationwide sex offender watch and incorporated it into a new website. This program allows police to monitor and track the whereabouts of offenders and it’s now available to the public as well!
Tucson also has several crime map websites that are updated Daily – my favorites are the Tucson interactive crime map from the Arizona Daily Star as well as the City of Tucson Crime Stats Map. There is a nationwide crime site where you can just enter an address and get daily crime stats from your city and state! Spot Crime is also a great website that details crime by neighborhoods in your city!
Churches are another topic that is best left to the client to research – it’s as simple as googling “Tucson Church Map” to find all the local churches in your neighborhood!
And then there is the “Has anyone ever died in this home?” question. This is a tougher one – and also one that many people have superstitions about. These are some suggestions to answer the question:
- There is no website that details deaths in homes – unless it was a crime death. At that point, a potential Buyer can do some research through the homicide unit of the local police department.
- Ask the neighbors.
- Ask the Seller.