Addison's 2012 Oktoberfest
It's Oktoberfest time again in Addison! The 2012 festivities (the 25th Annual Oktoberfest Celebration in Addison) kick off on Thursday, September 20th and run through Sunday, September 23rd. There's lots to do and see this year. The event is sponsored by Sapten, one of the six Munich breweries allowed to serve at the original Oktoberfest in Germany.
- German spelling bee, including English and German words associated with Oktoberfest.
- DAWG (Dallas Agility Working Group) Pretzel Run - dogs will run an agility course including an 80 foot pretzel tunnel.
- The official "tapping of the keg" is Thursday at 8:00 p.m. Addison Mayor Todd Meier will tap the first keg of Spaten from Germany, hopefully without spilling any bier. Maxwell had a silver hammer, but the Mayor will use a wooden mallet to hammer the bronze spout into the keg.
- It's Karaoke gone German! The Addison Oktoberfest Yodeling Competition is back! Twenty-five contestants will yodel their best to win great prizes. A panel of judges will score contestants based on the following criteria: Stage Presence, Audience Appeal, Dynamics/Technique, Difficulty, Uniqueness, Overall presentation. Competitors will be separated into two divisions - Adults (19+), Children (18 and under).
Saturday, September 21st:
- The Addison Oktoberfest 5k and 1 Mile Fun Run is on tap (pardon the pun!). Registration begins at 7:00 am, with the 1 mile kid's fun run/walk taking off at 8:00 a.m. and the 5k run/walk/wheelchair race at 8:30 a.m. Put back the calories you've burned off with a beer when Oktoberfest opens at noon on Saturday. This race supports Wipe Out Kids' Cancer, a nonprofit organization helping fund research, education and treatment for children with cancer.
- Two great Bier Barrel events: Bier Barrel Rolling (3:00 & 4:30) and Bier Barrel Bowling (5:30 & 7:00)
Sunday, September 22nd:
- Sunday is "dach" day. Dachshunds rule! The short-legged dogs will parade across the main stage at 2:00 p.m. and at 3:00 they will run in Sidewalk Races. The parade is sponsored by the Dallas Dachshund Club and they will have an adoption table next to the main stage if you'd like to take one home. Visit the Addison Texas website for an application and rules for the dog races. Did I mention the costume contest? For the dogs!
There will be a Kids Tent. Entertainment. Weingarten. Bier Tasting. Vendors. Food. Carnival rides and midway games. Paintball. Face painting. And so much more!
So why is Addison's Oktoberfest held in September, you ask? The world-renowned 14-day Munich Oktoberfest celebration ends the first week in October and Addison's event is scheduled to coincide with it.
Location: Addison Circle Park, 4970 Addison Circle Drive, Addison TX 75001
Hours & Ticket Prices:
|Thursday||6 p.m. - 11 p.m. Free!|
|Friday||6 p.m. - midnight $10|
|Saturday||Noon - midnight $5 before 5 pm, $10 after|
|Sunday||Noon - 5 p.m. $5|
Free Parking: NW corner of Dallas Parkway & Arapaho Road.
For more information on this event, visit the Town of Addison's website.