MAMA MONDY'S LASAGNA
My Grandpa Vinny was Italian~ Mama Mondy made this lasagna... mostly for special occasions. It was a favorite for Christmas dinner. My grandparents would be proud that we are still making their lasagna and sharing it with friends and family!
1 pound ground meat ( turkey, elk, beef)
1 pound ground Italian sausage
10 lasagna noodles
4 cloves garlic crushed
1 yellow onion chopped
2 teaspoons dry basil
2 teaspoons dry oregano
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried chile flakes
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
2 cups ricotta or cottage cheese
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
2-3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine ground meat and sausage along with onion and garlic, season with salt & pepper, and brown in a pan until meat is just cooked. Drain oil and liquid from pan.
- Add basil, oregano, season with salt and pepper again. combine this mixture with tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 40 minutes.
- Mix ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese) with parmesan, parsley and eggs.
- Spray pan with Pam. I use 2-3 smaller pans and freeze them prior to baking.
- Spread some of the sauce in the bottom of pan. Layer dried noodle over the top and don't overlap.
- Spread ricotta cheese mixture over noodles.
- Add a light layer of sauce. And top that with mozzarella cheese.
- Add another layer of noodle and repeat.
If you would like to make this vegetarian- Sautee mushrooms, bell peppers, eggplant, olives, zucchini-- or whatever veggies you have-- and substitute them for the meat. In addition... a bag of frozen and drained spinach to the ricotta cheese mixture.
For more Kathy Schowe recipes:
Check out more ActiveRain Recipes and support Habitat for Humanity by downloading the ActiveRain Cookbook!