Saving Mother Earth - Recycle
Gary Woltal brings to our attention the fact that recycling is not new. It's been around for many years. As a kid I made money returning coke bottles and crushing coke cans. Simple easy and hey it gave me pocket change. Little did I realize I was actually recycling an helping in saving Mother Earth. So why did we stop? It's time to think green and get back to the days of recycling.
With many REALTORS going for Green certifications and also the annual occurrence of Earth Day, it got me thinking THIS is nothing new, if anything other than trying to insulate homes better and have more efficient heating and cooling systems we have gotten AWAY from being green that we used to have years ago.
Going Green ~ Everything Old Is New Again
Think back to our parents or grandparents days...
- Milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles were returned to the store for deposits
- Many stores and office buildings you used the stairs cause there WERE NO escalators
- You walked a lot more on short distances not jumping in SUVs or mini vans for two block trips. Many downtown areas were compact for walking and close to the homes
- Baby diapers were not the throwaway type and were washed
- Drying clothes took the form of a clothes line not a power hog electric dryer
- Many hand me down clothes were given to brothers and sisters, and not so much of a throwaway clothes habits with new clothing all the time
- Way back when lawns were smaller and mowed by PUSH lawnmowers, not gasoline powered ones. Many today do not even know what one of these looks like
- Exercise was not done at healthclubs or on treadmills, as your normal weekly work provided enough exercise
- Drinking your water was from a water fountain and not from plastic bottles that now end up in land fills
- Writing pens had ink in them that we refilled rather than tossing the old ones away
- We just replaced razor blades not tossing the whole razor away cause the blade got dull
- People rode bikes a whole lot more or in cities took street cars and buses
- Look at the walls in those days and maybe just one electrical outlet without the need to plug in so many appliances, computers, satellite receivers, telephones, networking equipment
Yes GREEN is good, and we did have it, and we RETURN to it with some thinking. But remember we strayed from what we already had due to our progress, it's just now that we are getting smart again with the new world we have created. NOT NEW though.