8 Super Green Homes in Connecticut ~ 2012.
Connecticut’s 2012 Zero Energy Challenge is about designing and building a single or multi-family super efficiency, near energy zero use house. This is the third year of the challenge with the overall winner getting $10,000.
Other category of winners are:
- Lowest overall HERS Index: $5,000
- Lowest HERS Index without renewable technologies: $5,000
- Most affordable project (cost/sq. ft.): $5,000
- Lowest projected annual net operating cost: $5,000
For the 2012 challenge there are 8 participants throughout Connecticut:
- Appropriate Designs, North Franklin, Ct ~ 2 bedroom, 1,680 sq. ft.
- BPC Green Builders, Norwalk, Ct ~ 5 bedroom, 2,562 sq., ft.
- Lehto Builder, Brooklyn, Ct, ~ 4 bedroom, 3,200 sq. ft.
- Preferred Builders, Old Greenwich, Ct ~ 5 bedroom, 2670 sq. ft.
- BPC Green Builders, New Fairfield, Ct ~ 3 bedroom, 3,317 sq. ft.
- The Murrays, Portland, Ct ~ 3 bedroom, 3,200 sq. ft.
- Lehto Builder, Killingly, Ct ~ 3 bedroom, 2,600 sq. ft.
- WolfWorks, Harwington, Ct ~ 3 bedroom, 3,561 sq. ft.
A net zero energy homes are designed to no more energy from the electric grid than if produces on site over a period of time. These homes go beyond the minimum building code standards and some of the advance designs and building techniques are:
- Advanced insulation materials and envelope air sealing.
- Energy efficient HVAC systems along with Energy/Heat Recovery Ventilators (ERVs & HRVs).
- Passive solar orientation.
- Solar thermal water and photovoltaic (PV) systems.
- Efficient smart framing techniques and materials.
David Popoff is a Connecticut license real estate agent in lower Fairfield County. He has lived and worked in the area for over 30 years and now reside in Darien since 2004.
- Green Affiliations.
- Realtor GREEN designation by the National Association of Realtors.
- David Popoff is an accredited LEED Accredited Professional (LEED AP) Homes and USGBC member of the Connecticut chapter (CTGBC).
- Associate member and an accredited Certified Green Professional (CGP) of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and the local chapter HBRA-Fairfield County, Ct.
- Member of the HBA CT Green Homes Council.
- GPRO Construction Management Certified by Urban Green Council, USGBC NY.
- Member of the Multiple Listing Service, MLS.
- Greater Fairfield County
- Member of the Connecticut Association of Realtors, CAR.
- Member of the National Association of Realtors, NAR.
- Contact David Popoff at William Pitt Sotheby’s for all your real estate needs in Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Rowayton and the rest of lower Fairfield County.