Do You Know Why March 20th is Called ‘The First Day of Spring…Fun Facts?
The first day of spring is also called the vernal equinox. “Vernal” and “equinox” are Latin terms meaning “spring” and “equal night”
First Day of Spring--Above and Below the Equator
The vernal equinox, which occurs on March 20 or 21 each year and signals the start of spring in the Northern Hemisphere, is also the autumnal equinox—the first day of autumn—in the Southern Hemisphere. Conversely, the autumnal equinox in the north, which occurs in late September, is the first day of spring south of the equator.
· If you were standing on the equator during either the vernal or autumnal equinox, you would see the sun pass directly overhead, the only two times in the year when that is true.
· The two equinoxes are also the only times during the year when the sun rises due east and sets due west.
· In spring, the Earth’s axis is tilted toward the sun, increasing the number of daylight hours and bringing warmer weather that causes plants to bring forth new growth.
· When I was younger, I believed that you could stand an egg on its end and it would stay. I am sure we used to try this at school. I wonder now if this is a myth. Has anyone tried this?
· My mom used to tell me this was the day that the Easter Bunny starting getting ready to deliver his baskets? Interesting urban legend?
· This day is also considered the dying off of winter and the rebirth of the spirit of spring. I like this legend and it is a positive belief.
I love spring as the birds come home and all the trees and flowers bloom and make me happy. Do you like to see Spring come?
Kristin Hamilton DRE #014092138 Keller Williams Realty -I sell real estate in Riverside and San Bernardino Counties commonly called the Inland Empire. I am a trained and experienced Short Sale agent. If you are looking for a professional and experienced agent, I am just a click away. Google me at Kristin Hamilton-Real Estate Agent. Homeowners and Buyers both will find my services top notch and successful. Call me to sell your home; both traditional and short sales.
California is a dream come true state no matter what your needs or wants are. We have year round warm weather, beautiful beaches, rustic mountains and desert communities. If you are looking for a home in southern California, please contact me. I am a local California Realtor, live in the Inland Empire community and aware of the local market. I am here to help you find a home or to sell the home you currently own. California has great opportunities to view Nature and Bird Watching. Whatever your needs are, you will find it here in California! From the Inland Empire you are 45 minutes to the beaches, mountains or desert. Housing is affordable in the Inland Empire area!
Subscribe to my blog; “Kristin’s Inland Empire Blog- www.kristinhamiltonblog.com.
If you want to sell your home, call Kristin @909-557-6966 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org