Not quite a week in and there is a lot of positive feelings flowing throught the Oakland A's spring training camp. Most everyone who will check in have checked in, pitchers are working off the mound, and Bob Geren is hopefully learning all the names of his newbies.
Some of the highlights being reported:
- A's newest starting catcher, Kurt Suzuki has bulked up over the off season and is a bigger, more agile backstop that he was last year after he took over starting catcher in the wake of Kendall leaving. He is making strides as a catcher and a team leader. According to Geren, the pitchers are happy to throw to the young vetand to receive his feedback.
- Jack Cust has also bulked up and is working hard to imporve his skills as the team's returning DH.
- Harden and Blanton are throwing well, Gaudin is stretching it out and will be throwing off the mound in March.
- Justin Duchescher will likely be added into the starting rotation along with Chad Gaudin and Rich Harden.
- Announcing his retirement from the game, Jeremy Brown (of catching and Moneyball fame), he was replaced with Matt Lecroy as a minor league catcher who could possibly be brought up at some point..
- The 40th anniversary of the Athletic's being in Oakland could surprise a lot of people.
Anyone who has a chance, check in with some news on how spring training is going for their favs!